Is borrowing a slipstreamed CD illegal?

jpatto

I have an original XP CD which i cant create a slipstreamed CD with SP2 (see http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=28193). To save time i need to have it as a whole package.

If i "borrow" an XP CD with SP2 from my friend and use MY product key that i think is found in the winnt.sif file. Would this be illegal?

Would i need to activate this copy or not? Since my original CD does not require activation as i had it with my system from Dell, i think the activation is built in or something. If it does require activation what files could i copy over to the CD or what do i need to do in order to prevent it requiring activation so that it runs like my original CD.

Im not trying to overcome activation all i want is to run an XP with SP2 CD as if it was my orginal, but its not my fault Dell screwed me up on this one.

Thanks

cuz the stuff would be registered to your friend

How would it be registered to his friend if jpatto used his own key?

Personally I feel that if you bought a license and have your own legal product key, it makes absolutely no difference whose CD you install from. If your hardware has not changed you can back up the wpa.dll file from your system and restore it later. :)

cuz the stuff would be registered to your friend

How would it be registered to his friend if MCT used his own key?

Personally I feel that if you bought a license and have your own legal product key, it makes absolutely no difference whose CD you install from. If your hardware has not changed you can back up the wpa.dll file from your system and restore it later. :)

I think what MCT ment was if Nero or some other program was gonna be installed and the serial number is entered then yes that WOULD be illegal.

however.. I don't think anyone would have a problem if you used your own CD-Key for windows and his unattended CD so long as nothing like Nero is being registered.

I made a Unattended CD that i didn't specify the CD-Key so it asks for that, and put a lot of my favorite Freeware Tools that no one at my house can live without.. Spybot, Ad-Aware SE, etc... i don't think microsoft would have a problem with this as i'm using 4 diffrent CD-Keys for 4 diffrent computers.

which is what i think he is really askin about. correct? ;)

Ah, I see now. I never bother adding any third party programs to my slipstreamed CDs so I hadn't really thought about that, but I think the original poster just wanted to install Windows and nothing more, which should be fine. :)

I did the same as BiOhAzArD. I create a unattended installation but it asks for the CD-Key, and I let my friends borrow my unatteneded slipstream CD and they install windows with their own key that they got when they bought Windows, and I see nothing illegal with that. If it is, microsoft can sue me..

---------------2 Days Later------------

All rise for the case against Black Flame involving illegal Windows copying...

Awww crud

microsoft wouldnt waste there time probly :P

but the point we're trying2 make is IF U HAVE PROGRAMS THAT SAY You May NOT Distribute this in there EULA, you've voided there EULA, also its illegal 2 pass around programs like nero & stuff that needs a registration 2 work fully after "x" amount of days

I did the same as BiOhAzArD. I create a unattended installation but it asks for the CD-Key, and I let my friends borrow my unatteneded slipstream CD and they install windows with their own key that they got when they bought Windows, and I see nothing illegal with that. If it is, microsoft can sue me..

Awww crud

I would defend ya! DOWN WITH M!CR0$0Ft!!!

Just for the record it would just be the original CD without any add on programs. The only add on it would have is Service Pack 2, no nero and anything like that. Thanks to all for their comments and help.

Awww crud

I would defend ya! DOWN WITH M!CR0$0Ft!!!

Yay!! Someone out there likes me!