disable DEP

u can use this

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

/NoExecute=OptIn

this disables dep too..

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on automating this or if there is in fact a registry entry for disabling DEP. One of the applications I am trying to integrate into my install routine is the newest version of the Symantec Client Firewall Administrator. It's an .msi install routine, easy enough I thought, but it halts towards the end of the install. The funny part is that the app is in fact installed properly.

Actually I should clarify this, from a command line using /QB I get the following results. Using WMI via VBscript to install totally silent, it silently fails. But I know it's because of DEP.

Edit: Ok I found this article at Microsoft's Knowledgebase

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2

It appears that DEP can only be configured through the boot.ini file. And rather than /NoExecute=OptIn it looks like you should have /NoExecute=AlwaysOff. The OptIn setting is actually the default setting.

It also appears that you can apply a fix to individual applications via the Application Compatibility Toolkit. This is beginning to sound like too much work.

I run this from my winnt.sif

[GuiRunOnce]    %systemdrive%\apps\bootlogo1.cmd

%systemdrive%\apps\bootlogo.cmd

I copy over the bootlogo.cmd and bootlogo1.cmd during installation. They are placed in $OEM$\$1\Apps directory.

bootlogo1.cmd

bootcfg /RAW "/noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect" /id 1

bootlogo.cmd

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

Hope thus helps