Music download problem

Villa

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help me with a problem I am having.

Let me start by saying that I know very little about computers so I apologize in advance if something I say sounds stupid or is obviously wrong.

Now the problem I have is this. I downloaded some music tracks from the internet (legally and from reputable companies (Woolworths and Virgin)) and it presented the tracks in WMA format (copy protected). However, when I tried to copy the files onto my mp3 player (using Windows Media Player), I get the error message:

'Windows Media Player cannot copy the file because the licence associated with the file restricts it'.

Now, I have since found out that my mp3 player does not support copy protected WMAs but even so, shouldn’t I be able to at least get the files onto the mp3 player (even if I wouldn’t be able to play them?). The reason I ask is that the error message seems to be implying that there is something wrong with the files rather than the hardware. Or, is this the correct error message to inform me that my player is not compatible with the files?

If I get a new mp3 player that is compatible with copy protected WMAs, will I be able to transfer the files no problem? (I am worried that the same error message will appear!)

The sites that I downloaded the music from state that I am allowed unlimited plays of the tracks on my PC, to transfer each track onto a personal audio player 3 times and a CD 3 times. I have not exceeded these limits so I don’t think the problem lies there.

Any help would be much appreciated (sorry about the length!)

Thanks

Craig

Actually my MP3 player plays may formats ... including WMA.

My mp3 player plays several different file formats, including WMA.

In anycase, I suggest looking for a WMA to MP3 converter (search for it on google). Thats pretty easy in itself, I personally used Advanced WMA Workshop in the past (watch out for the limits when using trial version). Or since you legally own the song now ... go download an unprotected song from some torrent site, irc, or elsewhere there is music to be downloaded :P (course this is if thats within your legal limits per contract of "owning" those songs)

• 5 months later...
Actually my MP3 player plays may formats ... including WMA.

My mp3 player plays several different file formats, including WMA.

In anycase, I suggest looking for a WMA to MP3 converter (search for it on google). Thats pretty easy in itself, I personally used Advanced WMA Workshop in the past (watch out for the limits when using trial version).

I use Advance WMA Workshop too. It is kind of expensive to buy. But if you go to Deprice, Froogle, PriceGrabbr or Shopping.Com (like I did), you'll find a better deal.

I got mine at 10% off

(http://www.deprice.com/advancedwmaworkshop.htm)

Might want to look at eBay, too