BootSkin Skin Install from RunOnceEx...?

Powerhouse

Go figure, I go to tell you the good news, and my cable service goes out. Well, that last fix did the trick. I had to make one change, that was to increase the Sleep time to 2 seconds before clicking button18...

EndIf

;ProcessWaitClose( "Skins.exe" )

ControlClick ( "Installation Complete", "&Finish >", "Button3" )

; Configuration

ProcessWait ( "wbconfig.exe" )

;WinWait ( "WindowBlinds Advanced Configuration" )

Sleep ( 2000 )

If $SK_1 <> "" Then

ControlFocus ( "WindowBlinds Advanced Configuration", "", "Button18" )

ControlClick ( "WindowBlinds Advanced Configuration", "", "Button18" )

This gave it time to pick the correct skin, and then apply it (with a setting of 500, it would just select the default skin selected because it was so quick).

Thanks for all the help with that problem, now for the BootSkin issue.... :D

hmm well we are closer to being done with it....not fully tho.

ProcessWaitClose( "Skins.exe" )

Was ment to make sure all skins had been installed prior to selecting one....as is its fine if only a small handful of skins are installed...tho if its a larger collection....depending on where the disired skin is in the archive...could reflect on if its installed in time or not.

So kind of need to find out why that hangs the script...or some thing to replace it....but we are dang close thats for sure.

Ok, after doing lots of research on the matter, I found a file that needs to be copied as well as the reg tweaks to make BootSkin work from RunOnceEx.

Basically, you need to run BootSkin, install the skin you want to use. Then copy the file vidstub.sys (from c:\windows\system32\drivers).

For Example, I'm using a skin called ab_bs. So after installing the skin, I copies vidstub.sys. I put this file in my $$\System32\drivers folder.

Then I copied these registry entries into my softwaretweaks.reg file (that installs after RunOnceEX)...

;----- BootSkin Silent Theme install

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

;"INIPath"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\GUI\\BootSkin\\Skins\\ab_bs\\BootSkin.ini"

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

That's it. When Windows starts up, the correct Bootskin is running.

Okay this should do the trick....should require no hunting through the file system or reg entrys. :)

Just create a folder next to the script called "Skin" place the normal *.bootskin in it...it should ideally just be one skin...and the one you want as the default...if more than one is placed in there then it will be the last *.bootskin file imported that will be used....this is not recomended to install a bunch of skins this way since it would be very time consuming...thus the Skins.exe is still in place to handle any others to be added to the cache.

Tho I'm also thinking it might be nice to add to the script the ablity to delete default skins that are not disired by the end user as well.

Any thoughts on that?

Well let me know how it goes...should work just fine...then again I've said that prior with mixed results. ;)

Script seems to hault at the WinCustomize Window. Doesn't search for the Skin at all...

Also, the part where...

; WinCustomize Window

Sleep ( 500 )

If WinExists ( "WinCustomize" ) Then WinClose ( "WinCustomize" )

Doesn't seem to work (doesn't work in IconPackager either). The folder WinCustomize comes up, but WinClose doesn't seem to do anything. Not sure if maybe the Window isn't active, or maybe WinClose isn't recognized (after all the script haults at this point). I'm thinking maybe you need to do a Control+W to close the window (or ALT, F, C).

thats really odd since it shouldn't hault there at all...I mean its a "if" statement with a really simple task.

It checks to see if a window called "WinCustomize" exists in some form or fashion...if not then the line is ignored.....should it actually find a window like that it will close it.

The way its setup doesn't matter if the window is active or not...just that its there...drawn or not. ;)

Now it does close the window on my system...for both app's...that why it bug's me that it fails for you some how. :(

Well be sure to have this line under "Script Defaults"

Opt	("TrayIconDebug",	1);0=no info, 1=debug line info

to see where it is hanging...while the script may not be closing that window...it still should not hang.

Actually here is a newer version with a few tweaks to it...also one of the reason I'm slow to toss in Win+W or Alt+F+C is because of the possibility of some one running a app in the background....it might grab focus and thus get killed....and thats the same reason why I try to stay away from the "Send" command in general...if I have to I have to...but other wise...its a no no in my book.

Now if thats what you have to do to get it running correctly on your system then by all means edit it in that fashion. :)

Ok, strange stuff. If #cs is listed before run, I get the following error...

Line 0 (File "D:\the location of the file on my hard drive\BootSkin\BootSkin_1[1].05.au3.exe):

Run ($DL_1 & "\BootSkin.exe")

Errir: Unable to execute the external program.

The system cannot find the file specified.

The actual file name is BootSkin_1.05.exe, so not sure where it's getting BootSkin.exe from (I also removed the #ce just in case it might have caused problems too).

So if I remove that line, the script runs again. Now, here is the second weird thing. The program comes up, but nothing happens. I have to click Next at the Welcome screen. Then I have to click Browse, enter the location of the program (C:\Program Files\Tools - Shell\BootSkin), click OK, then Next, and then the script starts running again. If I check the Tray, it just says "Line: WinWaitActive".

I'm wondering if your running this on a virtual system, and its super fast, so you wont see some of these problems?

blast....I thought I had uploaded the uncommented version...sorry.

Run ($DL_1 & "\BootSkin.exe")

is used to run the application after its installed....but since I had the commented version up...the comments prevented the install of the app...thus the app's executable wasn't there.

As for the welcome window....I've been having some off tests with it...some times it works with "WinWaitActive" and some times not...thus resorting to "WinWait"...so other than getting the script to kick start it worked fine I take it?

Yep, works good. Funny thing about these scripts...I might have problems having to click buttons on occasion, but when you do it from RunOnceEx, they always work without a problem. Kinda strange, but that's why I'm not a programmer...hehehe

After seeing the work you've done to BootSkin to get it to load a Skin, I can't wait to see you fix IconPackager. I've been trying it, and its a b***h. Lots of screens you need to click just to install and load the Package.

Oh, and one more thing about the...

If WinExists ( "Object Desktop" ) Then WinClose ( "Object Desktop" )

The problem apears to be the time set to wait in the script. For IconPackager, I set the Sleep time to 5000, and now the Window will close. I think there wasn't enough time between when the Finish section was done, and when the above command was run.

Time for an update...

So I ran my Unattended CD with the changes to CursorXP, WindowBlinds, and BootSkin, and found these problems...

1. CursorXP: The Mouse properties comes up, when I click OK to close the window, the script seems to finish, but the correct skin is not installed (it's not even listed).

2. WindowBlinds: Wrong Skin is installed (its acutally the default skin that is listed that is installed). Again, the skin I want loaded isn't listed in the application. I'm guessing that the Skin.exe portion of the script isn't running correctly.

3. BootSkin: Waits for the first Input (up until after the Browse section), then it will pickup and run the rest of the script. However, the correct skin isn't installed (and again it's not even listed in the application).

I believe there might need to be some delays put in between the launching of the various parts of each script (as this seems the most likely cause, as each script seems to run fine, once I'm in Windows). I'm going to play around a bit with each script, and I'll post back what I find.

1. Thats odd

2. I think I changed the manner in which the default skin is applied...I think it now looks for a wba file in a folder called "skin"....double check the script and what I have posted...maybe we got somemix and match going on...or some thing.

3. hmm odd again....that should be working fine...I think we've been using the same method to select the default for bit now...so it should work.

Well I changed up how IconPackager selects the default theme....which should wait till the app's executable is in fact in the right spot at the right time....tho it may break else where...lot of windows as you have stated before to get s*** to fly....let me know.

This looks for ether of these (*.ip, *.iptheme, *.theme) in a folder called Theme for the default theme to apply