Completely VisualEffects Detail

If those info already had been posted, please just ignore it.

If something is incorrect, please tell me.

What happen to VisualEffects code ?

After doing some research, i figure out what happened ~

First there 3 part of code control what your XP's VisualEffects

* Part 1. the default value for the reset to default BTN

* Part 2. the default value for the setting window to check or uncheck the option checkbox

* part 3. the reall codes that effect the VisualEffects and where they had been stored and what they means

• ### Part 1. ### the default value for the reset to default BTN
    the defination of this is in the subkey of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder]
    like AnimateMinMax,ComboBoxAnimation,CursorShadow...etc.
    ex:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewAlphaSelect]
    "Type"="checkbox" --> the type what it is, a checkbox as u see in the performence -> VisualEffect setting window
    "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30540" --> the text script for that checkbox
    "RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced" --> reg path to set the value
    "ValueName"="ListviewAlphaSelect" --> This is where the real vaule has been stored
    "CheckedValue"=dword:00000001 --> the value when checkbox is checked
    "UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000 --> the value when checkbox is unchecked
    "DefaultValue"=dword:00000000 --> the default vaule tp apply when reset to default BTN is pressed
    "DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000001 --> default for alpha test
    "HelpID"="windows.hlp#51140" --> this is help entry for the "?" on icon upper right window
    When u press Set to Default BTN , WindowsXP will set the value of "DefauleValue" to the "ValueName"( the reg key) of "RegPath" ( the reg path where reg key is)
    SomeKey does not have the "RegPath" , "ValueName" instead of "CLSID" or just no description
    But that is just the way where to the real value defferent, the action is the same --> press Reset to Default BTN and then DefalueValue set to where they should be stored
    So now we know where the default value is stroed, but if you set Part 3 to make it as default user value at T-13 , this defalut value will be override, cause reg privillege HKCU > HKLM.

• ### Part 2. ### the default value for the setting window to check or uncheck the option checkbox
    then what the part for ?
    the reg code path [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]
    when you open VisualEffect setting window there are 4 setting option grouped in 4 radio BTN

• 1. Let WindowsXP choose
      2. Best VisualEffect
      3. Best performence
      4. Customer settting

when u choose 1, WindowsXP will set all value to check/enable

when u choose 2, WindowsXP will set all value to uncheck/disable

when u choose 3, WindowsXP will let u to deside which one to check/enable or uncheck/disable

When u choose 1, 2 or 3, the reg code under HKCU\...\VisualEffects does not effect any thing(any checkbox) on VisualEffect setting window

when u choose 0, all checkbox or radio BTN on VisualEffect window will use the value of the DefaultValue key of HKCU\..\VisualEffects\"the effect Key"

Change those value of "DefalutValue" directly by reg only effect the setting window, change nothing about the VisualEffect or the real vaule where they has beed stored, but will effect the new user, add new user will use this "DefaultValue" to set the value in Part 3, and if the key "DefaultValue" of HKCU does not exist, it will use the same key of HKLM instead.

Normally (the programmer thought) we should choose 1. Let WindowsXP choose.

And then WidwosXP will set all checkbox to show if they check/enable or not by using the value of "DafalutValue".

And then if we press OK or Apply BTN, WindowsXP will set the value to where they should be stored (cancle to set nothing).

What heppened if we edit reg directly ?

If we edit the registry directly, this will happen (for ex. set "VisualFXSetting" to 0), the checkbox is unchecked but the VisualEffect is still on when u open the VisualEffect window, and the apply BTN is gray (means u change nothing), then when u press OK, WindowsSP will not set value( just like u press cancle BTN), cause WindowsXP think u did not chenge anything. (every time until u do make a change)

(also Set "VisualFXSetting" to 1 all checkbox will checked, Set "VisualFXSetting" to 2 will make all checkbox to be unchecked nomatter they actualy enable or not)

So what i want to say is if u do not edit the Value where is stored and the "DefaultValue" at the same time, when u open VisualEffect setting window, the value (checked or not) show in that window may different from your reall setting that you are using. That confuse some people a lot ~

So. we could change Part 2. and Part 3. at the same time to sync it, but this means you are change the default for new user too.

• ### part 3. ### the reall codes that effect the VisualEffects and where they had been stored and what they means
    (Notic: use it = checked = enable ; not to use it = unchecked = disable)
    (some of those value also can be sett thgough Desktop --> right kick properties --> Visual tab --> Effects)
    those are where the real setting been stored:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

• 1. WebView
      2. ListViewWaterMart
      3. TaskbarAnimations
      4. ListViewShadow
      5. ListViewAlphaSelect

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

• 1. MinAnimate

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

• 1. FontSmoothing
      2. DragFullWindows
      3. UserPreferencesMask
      and what they means :

• a. WebView (dword) : Use common tasks in folders
        1 to use it , 0 to not to use it
        (you may also want to see WebviewBarricade and HKCU\...\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders to override WebView one by one, ex: "shell:ControlPanelFolder"=dword:00000000, same as WebView, 0 to not to use it)
        b. ListViewWaterMart (dword) : Use background image for each folder type
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        c. TaskbarAnimations (dword) : Slide taskbar buttons
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        d. ListViewShadow (dword) : Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        e. ListViewAlphaSelect (dword) : Show translucent selection rectangle
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        f. MinAnimate (sz) : Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        g. FontSmoothing (sz) : Smooth edges of screen fonts
        2 for yes, 0 for no
        (Yes, set to 2 if you want to enable, see also "FontSmoothingType" (dword) 1 for standar 2 for clear type but "FontSmoothingOrientation" ? i have no idea)
        h. DragFullWindows (sz) : Show window contents while dragging
        1 for yes, 0 for no
        i. UserPreferencesMask (hex 32-bits) : This is a bits mask muti-Value

• bit 0 : Active window tracking : 0 for no 1 for yes (hmmm this is another way to set Active window tracking, all i know there 3 different way )
          bit 1 : Menu animation : Fade or slide menu items into view : 1 for enable, 0 for disable, but effect depend on bit 9
          bit 2 : Combo box animation : Slide open combo boxes : 1 for enable, 0 for disable
          bit 3 : List box smooth scrolling : Smooth-scroll list boxes : 1 for enable, 0 for disable
          bit 4 : Gradient captions : Gradient effect for window title bars : 1 for enable, 0 for disable
          bit 5 : Keyboard cues : Menu access key letters underlined when u press ALT : 0 for enable, 1 for disable
          bit 6 : Active window tracking Z order : Windows activated through active window tracking are not brought to the top : 0 for enable, 1 for disable
          bit 7 : Hot tracking : 1 for enable, 0 for disable
          bit 8 : Reserved for future use, and used now ? i have no idea, always 0
          bit 9 : Menu fade : Menu animation effect : 1 for yes, 0 for no
          bit 10 : Selection fade : Menu animation effect : 1 for yes, 0 for no
          bit 11 : Tool tip animation : Fade or slide ToolTips into view : 1 for enable, 0 for disable, but effect depend on bit 12 if 1 -> fade, 2 -> slide
          bit 12 : Tool tip fade : Tool tip animation effect : 1 for enable,0 for disable, but ignore if bit 11 is 0
          bit 13 : Cursor shadow : Show shadows under mouse pointer : 1 for yes, 0 for no
          bit 17 : Use visual styles on windows and buttons : 1 for yes, 0 for no
          bit 18 : Show shadows under menus : 1 for yes, 0 for no
          bit 31 : UI effects : does it ecceft any UI : 1 for all yesl, 0 for all no
          and bit 14,15,16,19 - 30 ? those bits are reserved for future use. and some of them are in use on WindowsXP
          bit 14,15,16 control mouse behaviour

Now ~ what you want your Windows look like ? jsut set it ~

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So, you're all brimming with thanks for this guy. Obviously none of you have actually tried to implement all this stuff. I've spent the past five hours trying to get this crap to work.

IT DOESN'T!

AriesSyntax, you're close, you're really close, but not quite there. It may have worked for you, but your english is a bit too broken for me to understand it.

Sorry, but I'm a little annoyed at the gratuitous praise. I appreciate your work, but without an understandable explanation, nobody else will benefit from it. As such, I have a few questions.

What does this mean:

> the defination of this is in the subkey of

> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder]

> like AnimateMinMax,ComboBoxAnimation,CursorShadow...etc.

What is "this"?

I have set the DefaultValue key in all the subkeys of

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]

regardless of whether is was present or not.

I set

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]

VisualFXSetting:DWORD:0

I set all the keys listed in Part #3 to DWORD:0 except

UserPreferencesMask

I specifically made sure that bit #17 is 0, but all the visual styles are still being applied.

The Visual Effects tab does not match what I see on the screen (even after logging out and back in as the same user) as you warned at the end of Part 2. I cannot seem to rectify this.

All the settings I have chosen should be equivalent to choosing "Adjust for best performance" on the Visual Effects tab.

If you could clean up your explanation primarily by eliminating pronouns, it would probably be a lot more understandable. You use "it" and "this" too often, and I can't figure out what "it" or "this" actually is.

Thanks.

- slogmeister (my real user name)

• 16 years later...

I have made a batch file that will adjust visual effects for best performance which can be inserted into the $OEM$\$1\install folder with an appropriate entry under the GuiRunOnce section of winnt.sif.  If that does not work place it in $OEM$\$$\Temp and make a batch file in $OEM$\$1\install to place an entry in the RunOnce key to run visual_effects.bat from the %SystemRoot%\Temp folder.

When Windows runs for the first time not all the settings are applied until you log off, and then they are written to HKCU.  The settings for "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" are not applied until you click the Apply button and the Themes service is activated, which obviously you cannot do in a batch file.  Therefore I logged all the relevant settings that are made when "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" is turned off, and included them in my batch file.  The only problem is that the reg.exe of XP/2003 does not support the QWORD data type used in some of the settings.  Is there an upgrade for reg.exe we can use for XP/2003?

Visual_Effects.bat