Doom 3 Update: 1.1

todd

As you may (or may not) already know, Doom 3 1.1 update was released fairly recently.. The first thing I thought when I found this out today was.. go check MSFN and see if anyone has figured out how to integrate it into the original game files.. When I checked, I was disappointed that I didn't see any.. So.. does anyone know how to do this (you guys are the masters of integrating updates)?

http://www.doom3.com/ <-- download the update if you haven't already

well ok rephase applications not games.

anyways that update is installshield update, so u can obtain the msi file just by clicking on the setup.exe and going into temp dir

just copy the msi to anywhere u like than put the switches (i think it searches and installs it to the game folder but just to make sure add it to command line)

AND EXCUSE ME but did u put doom3 install in your setup? if so how often do u format and how crazy r u with doom3???

ow and to add more fun into the question do u know that doom3 takes up about 1.6gb in a dvd? assuming u have a dvd-writer how long do u think your windows setup's going to take?

Edited by XtremeMaC

Uhh.. by "windows setup" do you mean unattended? I dont do unattended installations.. this is so whenever i go to install doom3, i dont have to install a patch with it.. no matter how much time im wasting/saving by doing this, i like to keep my software up to date with patches preferrably integrated in.

I have run the installshield file and went to the temp dir, got the msi file, and the other files, and tried the /a switch, but it didnt work..

it still sounds wierd to me, installing doom3 wherever u go, hell anyways not my problem,

u'll encounter cd-copy protections probably anyways.

if u really really want to try this go to installshield program (like dev studio etc..) and put execute doom1.1.msi after setup completes or something like that and put its silent switches in there.

ow and most often u need a msp file to update. look at .net framework sp1 and office 2003 updates....

@XtremeMaC

No, he's not wanting to do it unattended, nor to put it on his unattended DVD! He just wants the new update merged into his normal Doom3 install.

@todd

Yes, it could be possible to merge the update into the game install files. Regardless of what installer it uses too! Try what SiMoNsAyS said above, if the Doom3 installer is an MSI based one. Sadly, I can't confirm anything about Doom3 since I don't have it!

But yes, its not difficult - I managed to merge the UnrealTournament 2004 latest patch/update 3323 into the UT2k4 installer DVD a week ago.

@prathapml well i've already understood that he doesn't want to put it in his unattended dvd but he said he want's to take the doom3 cd whereever he goes? I cannot understand that. i could understand that if he's working at a internet cafee or something but still if u're working with lots of computers going 1 by 1 as u all know is a stupid process. so i'm wondering what the heck's he thinking of.

i still want to point out the cd copy protection..

u can do it on ut2004 since the last patch removed the cd copy protection but on doom3 its not like that yet...or at least that's what i think, haven't tried....

@XtremeMaC Where did I say I want to take the CD's with me whereever I go? That's not it at all.. prathapml has the right idea.. Copy protections arent exactly hard to get around either..

@prathapml I have tried /a with msiexec but it tells me to launch it from setup.exe instead (which then I can't use the switch).. so I'm kinda stuck on this

this is so whenever i go to install doom3, i dont have to install a patch with it

this kind of tells me either u like to uninstall and reinstall doom3 so much or u install it on other comps as well??

aw whatever don't even answer. where are we going with this, i had just wondered.. .anyways i'll try it as well, just installed installshield x again. let me check if anything could be done.

also have u tried copying the contents to the hdd? afaik it copies the files directly from the cd.

ow okay here's the idea, extract the pk4 files to a folder and put the files from the update and setup like that..

updated files

• to installdir
  • version.inf
  • doom3.exe
  • doom3Ded.exe
    to base dir
  • game00.pk4
  • pak005.pk4
  • zpak001.pk4
  • some unneccessary documents

and thats it

so u can even copy files... or set the msi to copy these at the end of doom3 setup.

no registry changes..

edit: okay i've used the mst file to transform the original msi. i'll setup in a few

will post back if its succesfull or not :D

I've managed it and its working properly.

will be clicking here [after the upload] to dl the update package in RAR format (8.46MB) (note that the rar file is going to be in 2 parts (bc of my host's stupid php limit.., I wanted to split the file in 7zip as well but i couldn't see that option)

I've copied the no cd in case (not included in these archives) to get it to work, i haven't checked if it runs without that but i'm sure at one point it'll complain about the cd not being in the drive so i'll stick to the no cd file. (not considered as warez as long as u own a copy of it!)

ps: the transform failed miserably because i don't really know how to make use of it...

edit: crap i cannot upload anything to my crappy **** host, will do it tomorrow (2:21 am here..)

Edited by XtremeMaC

how exactly did you get the updated files? did you install d3 then install the update and see which files were updated? I dont think you can copy those directly over to the cds/dvd.. My dvd (I combined the 3 cd's following a guide) doesnt even have some of the files you listed..

btw this has nothing to do with how often i install doom 3.. i just like to keep all my apps/games with the latest version and without patches to be installed afterwards..

as far as i know, the original nocd file wont work on 1.1

sorry for the late update on this i was busy all day.

anyways well as i said earlier I've installshield X which is a program to edit and create msi files.

and using that i've extracted the files in the msi file.

so those files are not to be found in the original cd's.

the 3cd's i believe only contain a setup.exe + stupid autorun files + base folder with bunch of .pk4 files.

i've changed the original doom 3.msi and put the new versions of files and new entries into the msi file and added the other files that didn't previously exist in the msi.

@everyone does anyone else want this file besides todd'? if no one else wants i'll just send it to todd' (if the wants?)