Post SP2 gdidettool KB873374, Not Silent

In response to the jpeg security problem, Microsoft released, KB873374 Security Update for Windows XP, it is a tool called gdidettool.exe. This tool when run, checks the computer for affending software and then notifies you. I would like to be able to to include this in the svcpack.inf. I have been able to include all other updates including .NET, Media Player10 and Journal Viewer with out having to modify the tool, or repackage it. For example:

"Q832483.EXE /C:""dahotfix.exe /q /n"" /q" - MDAC Update.

"dotnetfx.exe /q /c:""msiexec /I netfx.msi /qn""" - .NET Install.

The line for the gdidettool.exe would need to look something like,

"gdidettool.exe /q /c:""msiutil2.exe /? /?""".

I don't know which tags to use on the executable msiutil2.exe to make it totally silent and not run the popup windows. And yes if you just run the gdidettool.exe /q it still pops up the windows.

thanks in advance.

Yes, it is not a type 1, or type 2 hotfix so thoes tags work, but dont stop the little popup window from coming up, the tool was designed to scan the computer, but microsoft has included it in the critical hotfixes section of Windows Update. My boss want new installs to always come up with nothing to install on the windows update site. This tool is necessary, but requies user interaction.

well, this is gonna be a problem, because the gditool is not for your OS if youre running xpsp2...or at least thats what I read...and if you run it without any switches, it will come back and tell you you dont need to install it...so it will always sit in windows update...you need to tell your boss to read the documentation.

You cannot install that update silently, as it is not an "update" as such. It is simply a program that looks on the system to see if you have any offending software, tells you to go to Windows Update or Office Update if you have something that may need updating, and tells you all is OK if not. It is not an update, it a message box, so by definition cannot be silent.

I use the registry setting to "fool" the system.

EDIT: Something like "gdidettool.exe /q /c:""msiutil2.exe /? /?""" would not work, as it is not the msiutil2.exe file that is called, rather the .INF file inside the package. You would need to modify that file.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to install this update silently. This is how i did it:

1. Extract the hotfix

2. Open gdidet.xml with notepad.

3 Change all "PROMPT" an "YESNOPROMPT" in "NOPROMPT"

4. save the changes

5. Now we need to make an IExpress package

Click Here for information about making an IExpress package

If you follow this guide above, be sure to use the INF file in the "Install Program To Launch" phase.

6. Save this package as KB873374.exe and put in in your update folder.

7. Add this hotfix to svcpack.inf, no switches requierd

The hotfix will now be silently installed

Good Luck!!

The hotfix will now be silently installed

But it's not a hotfix. It's a silly mistake from the security squad at Microsoft. They should have released a roll-up pack to patch Windows and Office (if necessary). Instead it just sends you to a webpage telling all about the blundered component.

-nARkwS-

• 2 years later...