Need advise with fresh install of XP

Drewdatrip

Hey guys!

I just have downloaded the devilsown version of Xp, and im woundering how i should go about installing it as a fresh copy.

here is my situation.... My C: drive is my system drive, its fat32 and contains Win98 and some basic programs like winzip and such, my D: drive is fat32 and contain all storge, fially i have my E: drive which is also fat32 and containg all my games and programs.(by the way the c and e drive are the same drive partitioned into 2)

i think it would be best if i re-formatted both my C and E drives in ntfs and use them and use the c for system and the e for programs, im woundering two things? can i run the Xp setup from dos after i format the drives, and can i leave my D: drive as a fat32?

-Thankx

-drew:D

Ok....Lets start from the begaining

1. You dont need to convert drive e: to NTSF, leave it as fat32

2. XP will not start setup like 98 does in dos.

3.leave d: drive as fat is ok

4. Doing a feash install as followed......While in 98 insert XP disk. Choose freash install....You will come to a window that gives you 2 "advance buttons" to click wich will give you other install operations. I believe its when you see the hadicapp options. Click on the top advance button....Youll see 2 options that have boxes unchecksed next to them. One will say "Let me choose the partition to install from" and "copy all setup files to the drive given"...This is where you need to change where the setup files are copied to. Change it to e or d drive. Make sure both of the boxes are checked and cont to install...thats it....When the install cont and reboots it will give you a option to pick where to install XP...Pick c:drive. And your set

-Chris

Well first off i dont have the disk, i have downloaded the devils own version. i dont think that makes ad diff though. I was told that ntfs is more stable, and that is why iam want to update...more stabliity! :) so i was woundering how i do that, or if winxp can do it for you?

Further i dont really understand the last part,about selecting the drive, i understand how to select it, but if i want to install it on the c drive wont i select that drive? you said somthing about chosing the d or e then when it restarts choose the c ,... that i dont understand.

if you could just explain it diffeently and show it in steps, from converting to ntfs-geting the thing to install on the c drive, that would be great!

also...can a ntfs drive talk to a fat32 drive? i want to format the c and e to ntfs and keep my storge drive(D) as fat32

-thankx

-drew

devils0wn goes on disc......

what have you got, an .ISO file? if you have then burn it to disc..

if its a folder with sub folders and files inside it probably still goes on disc and is an opened .ISO file, otherwise its a filthy ripped copy and should be deleted off of your pc.

When you are on an NTFS system yes you can access a fat32 drive and get files off of it... BUT you cant access an NTFS partition from fat32 - wont work the other way round.

Why do you have so many discs? your ide channels must be full.. cant have many cd drives etc on there bud...

you need to let us know what you have first before we can help you to install it :)

[b:eac8d27862]

Well first off i dont have the disk, i have downloaded the devils own version. i dont think that makes ad diff though. I was told that ntfs is more stable, and that is why iam want to update...more stabliity! so i was woundering how i do that, or if winxp can do it for you[/quote:eac8d27862] [/b:eac8d27862]

Yes It does make a difference...Like FthrJACK said devilsown needs to be burnt on a disk....It only cam as a ISO or rar, and it that case it MUST be burnt to a disk. XP will convert over to NTSF while doing the install and it is more stable.

Further i dont really understand the last part,about selecting the drive, i understand how to select it, but if i want to install it on the c drive wont i select that drive? you said somthing about chosing the d or e then when it restarts choose the c ,... that i dont understand. [/quote:eac8d27862] [/b:eac8d27862]

When install the setup filesmust be copyied to your computer...Now if you copy to c: drive when rebooting and installing it will format and convert the drive over to NTSF. Now if c: drive is the spot you want XP , you would be formatting the setup files. Thats why you would have those copied over to another drive.

also...can a ntfs drive talk to a fat32 drive? i want to format the c and e to ntfs and keep my storge drive(D) as fat32[/quote:eac8d27862] [/b:eac8d27862]

Just as FthrJACK said you can see all drives while in XP as NTSF but if you have a second OS (dual booting) and that is fat32 you wont be able to see your XP drive. Also theres no reason to have a drive thats just storage as NTSF. Only use NTSF for operating systems.If this doesnt explain it or you have more questions let me know.

-Chris

I understand that the devilsown Xp is an ISO file which means it is ment to be burnt, but if you use a program like ISOBuster or winimage, you can read the iso files contents and extract them to you harddrive...I have done this because i do not have a burner.

So this is what i understand, when installing i will select under the advanced button, a drive other then the C: to copy the install files, then when it starts formating the c to a NTFS drive, i will then have the option to choose the OS's drive directory. i then will select the c drive to install the OS to.... ok i got it

Once i get the c as a ntfs with Xp as the os i would also like to use my e drive as my appliction and game drive, i would like to convert that into an ntfs as to keep it more stable, (the c and e are one drive partitioned, C is system, E is application and games), will i have an option to do this in the setup? if not, how and when?

i wont be changing my D drive(seperate 13 gig drive) into ntfs(unless you suggest it), because it just contains downloaded files, movies and ziped or rared sofware.

-drew

You only get the option to convert the drive that your puting XP on to NTSF , You can not use XP to convert other drives or partitions....One again that pain in the a** [b:d41eea6037]FthrJACK[/b:d41eea6037] :rofl :rofl said to use partition magic to convert the other drive over to ntsf.

-Chris

P.S.Not ever try to install XP by having files on hard disk I cant promise it will work. Most people dont even try that way but as you had mention (should have mentioned this in your first post to help out better) you dont have a burner....But does a friend have a burner you could use. Or ....hehe...do this. Go to a local computer store, buy a burner, hook it up , burn yourself a copy and return it the next day.

Ok....if i choose new install, will it format my previous version of windows and the files that are conatined on the C: drive?, if not what should i do, i cant format the c and e and then go to dos and install it from there or can i? if i have to install from windows98 , how shouls i go about it? right now there is not much but my os on my c drive, i dont what the install to f*** up my computer, and i cant reall get a hold of a burner, i would have to buy one, and i dont have the money.

Thankx

-drew

Dude! You are too confusing! Just install from ISObuster...it's not the end of the world if you don't have a burner. It is a risk to take but just make sure you back up your stuff! I have installed like this many times and I have had relatively few probs.

Chris...you are bad!

Go to a local computer store, buy a burner, hook it up , burn yourself a copy and return it the next day.[/quote:85f9741f3e]

Haha! We need to take a poll to see who has done something terrible like this? I went on an impulse buy one weekend and bought a steering wheel and a couple of racing games for my computer. Returned them that Monday because I was not happy with it. You know you can't return opened software so I carefully taped it back and played dumb. They actually took it back but they were inspecting it and all that crap. No harm done, I did not make a copy of the games and everything was put back in the box like I got it.

Rick

i once downloaded MGI soft dvd MAX and then rang up to say it didnt work and got my money back haha..(its supposed to run on win2k and it DIDNT!.. so i installed it on win98 partition lol) it dont work on xp either.. dammit best dvd software ive used.. the sound is awsome on the latest one!

[b:dff9452839]barnettrp -[/b:dff9452839] The promblem you had was not making a copy of the games...haha...I have bought stuff and returned it so many times...Well for an example..The router!

[b:dff9452839]

Ok....if i choose new install, will it format my previous version of windows and the files that are conatined on the C: drive?, if not what should i do[/quote:dff9452839] [/b:dff9452839]

This has been answered in my second post.As far as installing it from your hard drive those answers will have to be taken by someone else...Never had the balls to try it that way! Good luck

-Chris