Connection Closed By Remote Server Error

Cube623

Internet Problem "Connection Closed By Remote Server" - After about 15-20+mins of surfing on the net my browser will pop-up with an error message saying

Connection closed by remote server

and i can't access any web pages unless i refresh the webpage lots of times and very quickly it will finally load up the webpage but no images will load up and the site will look very basic, when this happens i am still connected to the internet as the icon with the 2 flashing computers is still there, the only way to get the net to work again is to reboot my computer and i can access the net again but still after 15-20+mins the problem happens again, why is this happening?

As anybody got any ideas as to why this is happening as this is really driving my insane

Sounds like your modem is freezing up if you have to reboot to get it alive again. I'd probably be worth it to swap it out since modems are cheap. Do you use a surge protector on the modem line?

When I was working at BB as a PC tech, we saw all sorts of weird modem s*** that was cuased by the modem taking power surge hits over the course of a few weeks/months. Swapping in a new modem almost always helped quite a bit.

What's the OS, browser version, modem type....ect? When was the last time you ran windows updates?

Paul

Sounds like your modem is freezing up if you have to reboot to get it alive again. I'd probably be worth it to swap it out since modems are cheap. Do you use a surge protector on the modem line?

When I was working at BB as a PC tech, we saw all sorts of weird modem s*** that was cuased by the modem taking power surge hits over the course of a few weeks/months. Swapping in a new modem almost always helped quite a bit.

What's the OS, browser version, modem type....ect? When was the last time you ran windows updates?

Paul

my OS is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

I tend to use Opera as my browser but i have tried on all browsers and problem happens on all of them but anyway IE 6, MF 1.0 and Opera 7.54 (all up to date)

Modem is a BT Voyager 1000 USB-ADSL Modem

And i ran windows update yesturday so i'm up to date

i would like to note that when i installed SP2 the problem became worse

I'm still going to have to lean towards a hardware problem, specifically the modem at this point. Normally things like:

i would like to note that when i installed SP2 the problem became worse

happen with flaky or failing hardware. Reason being is that software installs of system changes tend to work the PC a bit more. Flaky hardware almost always comes to light with a major update or driver install.

Try replacing the modem, like I mentioned, modems start to do weird stuff when they begin to fail. Loosing connection, saying "no dial tone", PC lockups are good symptoms that a modem needs to be replaced.

You never did mention if you had the modem plugged into a surge protector via the phone cord?

Don't buy a modem from a store though, you'll get ripped off big time. I'd recommend this one for a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-137-105&depa=0

If that link doesn't work do a search on newegg for an "Amigo AMI-MA56" 56k modem

Paul

Well nuts! Here I was thinking it was an old sytle phone modem, not a DSL!

LOL!

USB-ADSL Modem
should have keyed me in...

Ok, let me switch gears then. Let's try to rule out any hardware problems you may have. Since you've got a broadband connection, that makes it a bit easier. Ever used linux before? This will work great for troubleshooting...

There's a distro of linux that runs completely off of CD and doesn;t touch the hdd. Most people use it either to test on a new PC to see if it's hardware is linux compatable or those that need a quick linux distro without any installation hassels. OR those of us that just want to verify if a PC has a hardware or software problem.

Try downloading knoppix linux 3.6 from one of the mirrors here:

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Download the ISO, burn it to CD

Simply boot off the cd and then type in "knoppix26 desktop=kde" and wait until you get up in the GUI. Then fire up mozilla and see if you can crusise the net and stay on-line longer than before. If it doesn't automatically connect to the net (if your DSL requires a username/password) then access the Kmenu, go to network -> configure and go to the DSL setup stuff.

IF you can connect and stay on-line for quite a while then ther's a software problem somewhere, the hardware is fine. Maybe time to re-install the modem, or even windows.

If its the same as before and you find that after like 20min you're having connection problems, then I'd say its time to contact your ISP and either see about doing some trouble shooting or get them to swap your DSL modem, run another line, switching to another USB port or plugging in the modem via the RJ45 connector,...ect.

Yeah, I know using linux to trouble shoot sounds crazy, especially if you've never used it before. But that distro is quite nice, easy to use and configure....and great if your only hdd dies and you need a PC to get on the web and such....

Hope that helps more than confuses!

Paul

PS-if all else fails, maybe try another ISP???

@ DigitalAZ

I've done this and the prob is still there

@ pthomas

After ages of trying to download that file due to my net problem i've finally got it i've done what you've said, it works and i was on the internet for 5 hours without the problem happening so it's software related and to do with windows

I've just done an antivirus scan on the symantec site and it says i've got 4 versions of the spybot virus, i'm confused as to why my antivirus software isn't picking it up

but

1. Could this be the reason why i'm getting this error

2. How do i get rid of it if my Antivirus software won't pick it up? I've looked for a removal tool but found none

In short, yes, viruses are made to do malicous things. So flaky internet is a possibility. If you ever want to see how to remove a virus, the easiest way is to go to www.symantec.com/search/ put in the virus name (and check the trojan, virus, macro ...box).

Removal instructions are near the bottom of this web page:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...pybot.worm.html

As for #2...what's your virus scanner? mcafee? norton? version #? When was the last time virus defs were updated? Do you have real-time protection turned on?

Also try running a program called "a2". It gets rid of some trojans and a few other things. You can get that here:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/

Paul

well after looking through my services it said the HTTP SSL was disabled i've enabled it and my internet seems fine but now i've said this the problem will will probably come back because 3 times i've thought i've fixed it but it has come back lol

another net problem :realmad::realmad::realmad: but luckily it's not happening to me :D

after turning on his pc one morning zonealarm (his firewall) came up with an error something like

invaid dll vsinit.dll

and zonealarm won't start up or even uninstall and now this error is causing it to block the entire internet!

e.g the "2 flashing computers" icon is showing bytes being sent but none coming back?

• 2 weeks later...

the problem is back!!!!! :realmad::realmad::realmad: and as bad as ever, and i've even called BT and they don't seem to know whats wrong but i have 1 suggestion

Everytime i connect to the internet and it loads up my home page (www.msn.com) Spybot S&D keeps saying You are downloading Avenue A.Inc do you want to block this download, i (of course) say yes but this could be something?