old MB and new vid card - continued (new problem)

briankallen3

well,

I thought I figured out the problem with my video card I bought (see my first post 'old MB and new video card - need help/advice'). Stupid me didn't look at all the sys requirement and didn't have enough watts flowing to kick the card into gear. So I bought a new Power Supply, a PowerUp 400W Duel 80mm fan. I bought it from globalcomputer.com, and the description said it was compatable with AMD and P4 systems, ATX compliant, and it's over the 300W minimum I need for my video card. So when the PS gets here, I put it in, hook everything backup correctly and push the button to fire up the system. Nothing!! And this is w/o the new video card in, just with all the old stuff. I recheck the **** wires, everything is hooked right. Double check the selector switch is set for 115V, everything looks good. Push the button again and NOTHING!. So I swap out the new PS and put in the old one, everything works fine again, boots up fine, no problem. So I'm wondering if there is some compatability issue with the PS and my system. My system:

1.2Ghz Athlon T-Bird CPU

Microstar VIA KT133 AMD Socket A MS-6389 MB supports up to 1.4Ghz CPU

384MB 133SDRAM

ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB Vid card (old, I know:))

on-board MB sound

Lite-On LTR-24102B CDRW

Std Floppy

20GB Maxtor HD 5400RPM

no extra case fans, a modem and a LAN card

all being powered by 200W PS

Is there some reason a new PS compatable with AMD and ATX shouldn't work?

Thanks, Brian

thanks everyone for the replies. I tried thoses and I hoped they would work, but they didn't so, I packaged the **** PS up and am getting an exchange. On a more pleasent note, I just got the Sims 2 in the mail today, a day ahead of the opening day. OHHHH YEAAHH!! Too bad I can't play it until I get the new PS :( Oh Well, such is life. Thanks again

OK im abit confused here...whats the new vid card your refering to?

If you are indeed using a newer vid card you may wanna check the spec on the AGP x speed.

IF the card is fairly new and the motherboard is very old the X wont be compatable. The industy made a chage in voltages from 1x to 8x ie 3.3v to 1.6v.

Some cards wont fit and some have issues working with under or over rated power.

As for the new PSU, Powerup is one of those PSU i would not reccomend along with Codegen, PowMAx, RaidMAx and many others.

For a solid Computer start at the PSU, get yourself a Enermax,Antec, Allied, or one of the top speced on the market. They are worht the money!

|Drew|

I second what Drewdatrip said. Cheap power supplies (even with high wattages) sometimes aren't very good (lots don't have enough juice on the 12v bus) and end up causing lots of problems and headaches. I've replaced dozens of bad ones that caused similar problems before. Usually when I come across one (even if it says 450w on it) I try a good old trusty enermax 350w in and it just about never fails...