explorer.exe

Hi,

I've created a WinXP with SP2 Slipstreamed, formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the whole windows. Everything was done yesterday. When I tried to turn to my computer today, it froze after the startup screen. I've the same problem before after I installed SP2. I though there is same software conflict, so I reinstall the whole windows. I found that if I kill of explorer.exe (it shows that is running fine ) in the task manager and restart it. My computer will work again. Does anyone have the same problem? How can I fix it? Please help. :no:

I had something similar to your problem. However, it was pre-sp2. My explorer.exe would blink out on me from time to time. I intalled sp2 and it went away. I could never put my finger on what was causing this problem, but it was happening on two seperate workstations at home. One thing that could have caused it was my external hd's, and the other was my wireless. Both of which were connected via usb.

I dunno if this helps, but sometimes you see things that are similar and can find a solution that way.

Do you have the same problem right after a fresh install? Or is it after you've installed all your programs? If you think its a program thats causing the lockup, then do a fresh install and then install your programs like 2 at a time and reboot and see what's causing the problems.

Sounds to me like you have a hardware problem. Download prime95 :

http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.exe

and run a torture test. If it keeps going for about 15-20 min then your PC is probably ok hardware wise. But if it detects a hardware error and then stops, then its time to start testing components to see whats crapped out.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally found out what the problem is, i guess my computer is not quite powerful enough. SP2 takes up some much of my computer resources. It froze whenever I plugged my 3com wireless nic card to my computer before I turn it on. Now I have to have my machine on without the nic card, and plug the nic back before windows finished loading. I also have to disable most of third party programs and some microsoft services at startup. Is that possible to have the nic driver load at the end or manually load. Thanks.

My Computer Spec.

PIII 650Mhz Laptop

256MB (Max. not upgradable)

Windows XP Professional

Office XP Standard

:hello: