path

Not to touch the subject again, but I did do the reading and I drew a blank.  I wasn't asking for somebody to do the work for me...I gave a few examples of what I had done and asked for an analysis.

OK, let's summarize the thread one more time then.

On your CD, you have an $OEM$ directory. Directories within that use a special structure that can be used for copying to certain directories on the computer during an unattended setup. One such directory is $1, which translates to %systemdrive% (which is C:\ in 99% of installs - it's the drive that windows is installed to). So anything contained in $1 is copied to c:\ (for the sake of our example). So, if you have a folder named install inside $1, it'll be copied to c:\install.

Get it?

Um...yes I got that portion of it. $1 = c drive...$$ = windows folder.

the origal inquiry was pertaining to the actual syntax of the cmd entry.

'does this path look correct for all the files?

C:\XPSP1a_ENG_PRO\$OEM$\$1\Install

in conjunction with:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-'

Thanks for pointing out the obvious...yes i am a dumbass. I rode the short bus with the tinted windows.

That puts things into perspective.  Thanks for the 'noob' explanation. ;)

you're welcome :)

Ahh.......eureka!

I think I know why...he prolly got confused about where %systemdrive% came from...think i would too if i just looked at the guide: (i'm there now) There's no explanation about how that came from...correct me if i'm wrong

@the_duck: think of it as two separate things:

1 -> "$oem$\$1" is how you would actually place the folders (the physical arrangement of your files and folders)

2 -> %systemdrive% is the way you would call them in your command lines

So if you put in your command line something like this:

start /wait $OEM$\$1\install\Applications\sav\savceclt.exe

it wouldn't be called, cos windows doesn't recognise it. you would need to use %systemdrive%

hope that helps!

Um...yes I got that portion of it.  $1 = c drive...$$ = windows folder.

the origal inquiry was pertaining to the actual syntax of the cmd entry.

'does this path look correct for all the files?

C:\XPSP1a_ENG_PRO\$OEM$\$1\Install

in conjunction with:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-'

Thanks for pointing out the obvious...yes i am a dumbass.  I rode the short bus with the tinted windows.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread how you said it. Do us a favor next time and don't put the c:\xpsp1a_eng_pro part in front of your path. We'll assume you're working from the root of your install source.

I hate to confuse you but it would be simpler if you just copied OfficeXP folder to the install folder and make it short like this

REG ADD %KEY%\iAdd /V Inum /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=\"%systemdrive%\Install\Office\office.mst\" /qn" /f

Forget the Applicatons folder thing cause it's unnecessary

All that doies is tell it to look on %systemdrive% for the Install folder and do it's thing.

TY lpl...you were correct in that I was confused as to if I needed the %system% drive in front and if I needed to be specific in calling the folder path. Thank you for being patient with me. I've been up since 3:30 this morning and it's 10:15 now (dogs next door wouldn't shut up). I've only got another 6 or 7 hours left in my work day. :(

Or as another alternate method (which I use) is to run the program directly from the CD. Saves a lot of time during textmode setup since all the files don't have to be copied off the CD.

@the_duck, if you're interested in that, I can show you how to do it.

oh hell...

one step at a time LOL. It may be simpler to you, however this is my first attempt at unattended installs. I'm not a programmer, I'm more of a 3D artist. I'm just in the wrong part of the country to find that wonderful job. It's a bi-product of relationships and compromise.

oh hell...

one step at a time LOL.  It may be simpler to you, however this is my first attempt at unattended installs.  I'm not a programmer, I'm more of a 3D artist.  I'm just in the wrong part of the country to find that wonderful job.  It's a bi-product of relationships and compromise.

No prob. I started doing the same thing (having everything copy). Just so you know, it's really not as hard as it sounds.

I would prefer to run things off of the cd, however I looked around for the %cdrom% thingy and came up with too many results. What I mean is the search tool didn't narrow down the results enough for it to be of any use. I don't want to take up any of your time. I know you have things that you would rather be doing.

I would prefer to run things off of the cd, however I looked around for the %cdrom% thingy and came up with too many results.  What I mean is the search tool didn't narrow down the results enough for it to be of any use.  I don't want to take up any of your time.  I know you have things that you would rather be doing.

Yeah, the search tool is quite lacking. Unfortunately, I'm also at work right now, so I don't have access to my unattended CD. Shoot me an IM any time after 5 ET and I'd be happy to help you.