Desktop Icons

budgora

Right-click in My computer>properties>advanced>performance-settings>visual effects>make sure you have "use drop shadows for con labels in desktop".

Note: all of the above will work supposing you are running Windows XP

Unfortunately this did not work.

I found a script that does what I wish, but it works on my laptop only, not the desktop I am trying to have it work on.

The only difference I can discern between the desktop and laptop computers is that the former first loads the normal windows desktop and icons and then switches to the new wallpaper and icons; the laptop only loads the new wallpaper and icons and when running the script eliminates the shadow.

Any other suggestions? How do I eliminate Windows from first loading its desktop wallpaper initially?

• 1 month later...

ok i registered and everything just to tell Xpero i love you! you dont know how long ive been trying to get the color behind my icons to go away i have searched everywhere to and never found it then finally when i am looking for desktop icons i stumble across these forums and begin to look around and i happen to read your posts and i tryed it and it WORKED! thank you so much i think i will read some more to maybe find more interesting stuff :):D

@Halzions: We are here for many reasons, but the most important one is to help each other. Helping you has been a pleasure ;) Here in MSFN you will find incredible stuff and you will learn a lot about computers as I do everyday :hello:

• 1 year later...

I had a problem with icon text transparency for months. I've finally found out what was the problem. Today! After months of suffering... the rectangles around text made me ill. May sound funny but you look at it every day. I haven't find solution anywhere on the net... it is only milion times the same - through performance>...

I wanted to reinstal windows...

And - now "active desktop" term hit my eye. Interesting. I'm launching "help and tech support" in windows, to find out how to configure active desktop. And the problem was there! At last my desktop is nice again. Drop shadows everywhere, ooooh.

well, here is what I did:

right click on desktop>prop.>desktop>customize>web>uncheck all squares, in my case there was kind of link to my current wallpaper

then everything works! Gosh, I'm so happy. Well, maybe I'm stupid not to know this, but, whatever. Here it is. And it's so simple it hurts...

Note: the terms may be a little inaccurate, I don't have english version of Windows :)

• 4 months later...