DVD Sound Quality: Suck

voltaic

I don't normally watch DVDs on my computer, but i recently subscribed to one of those dvd rental services where they send them to your hose and have found myslef watching them on my computer more often.

anyway, that being said, the speakers on my computer are quite a bit better than the ones on my tv and i find myself noticing quiet "white noise" coming through when the characters are speaking. has anyone else noticed this?

DVDs are supposed to be the pinnacle of multimedia perfection, are they not? what gives? i mean, there is certainly the capacity for CD-quality audio, it just takes more space. so my assumption would be that if a person is willing to pay for a dvd, they are probably willing to pay the extra to have the thing in better quality on 2 dvds.

what a gyp: companies too cheap to take full advantage of the technology that could facilitate home-cinematic perfection! and for what? worst case scenario it costs $1.87 per dvd total for DVD-9 in quantities of only 1,000! (according to prices on http://www.cdrom2go.com)

-Voltaic

hmm hello I think u need a little more knowledge on the topic

I don't think u assume all the tv's are the same, all the speakers are the same right?

I mean there are home theathers have u tried them?

what's the watt output of your speakers? did u set the right method of sound output? (surround, dolby digital etc.) ?

u cannot blame the dvd's they mostly recorded at ~6000kbit and sounds areound 224kbit (I think it was more) so that's nothing bc of the dvd's.

go buy a better speaker!

ow and dvd's cost much less than what u have said. u can get 1000 dvd's and per dvd will be about $0.50..

Sound can be in various formats, and bitrate wise, if you're talking about DD 2.0, it's usually 192kbps, and DD 5.1 is usually 448 (sometimes 384...). (DTS is even higher) Even at high volumes, I don't hear any of that white noise during silent periods. I'd have to say it's your audio setup that's causing it. It does sound better than CD Audio (it's at 48khz too, compared to 44.1 for cd audio - and much more efficient coding) Once you get a taste of HD DVDs and such, you realize how much better it can get :)

XtremMac:

i have what most to consider to be the best computer speakers on the market. Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultras. it's the poor quality of the tv speakers that maskd the white noise of the dvd audio. yes, i've been through all of those cute little menu on the dvd and made sure they were set at the best possible choice for my configuration.

you should probably ask before you go making assumptions and essentially calling someone an id*** because you think they are some newbie watching a movie on their emachines 14" monitor and the rinky dink speakers that came with it.

You could really stand to be less of a di©khead.

Crahak:

it's mostly when the characters are talking quietly, or especially when there is quiet music playing, that's when i really notice it. the periods of silence are actually fine.

-Voltaic

I'm talking about the speakers on your TV! u already stated that the sound quality on your computers speaker are better than your tv's!!!!

heh what shall I ask u? u said yourself that u get white noise etc. so that's noting to do with the dvd

unless u went out to the dvd store and got a 70's re-enhanced dvd and turned the bass on too much.

I only said go buy a new speaker for your tv because that's what it sounded like, keep your nice insulting words to yourself allright? the last thing I care is someone who swears at me for over a speaker!

and I didn't call u an id*** that only your perception. so u have to have a problem to be understanding my words like that!

futher stuff u said crahak could mean that u turned the volume on too much, what's the watt output on the tv speakers? maybe they're not too much.

and u haven't asked your question right. u didn't ask one anyways but what are u trying to ask? why your tv's speakers that is integrated to the tv suck? or why your 5.1 sorround is better that it?

if all this debate was bc of your computer speakers that u already mentioned to be working good, I'm sorry but i was talking about your TV.

and for the answer to having 2 dvd's should result in better sound quality is not right. well it could theoretically would be true bc u'd assume that they use the empty space for sound but they don't, they either put speacial features, deleted scenes, trailers. last thing they do is to play with the quality of the dvd. most companies have a pre-set for a/v and use that. they can't go above a certain sound quality...

hey, sorry for perpetuating a flame war... i never was fond (or any good at the things anyway) as i said, for all i can ascertain, with the best sound quality settings i know how to set, i get some kind of white noise whenever there is audio coming from the dvd.

this is with the following:

klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra (cd-audio, line-in and other non-essential sources turned off)

SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Creative dvd drive (don't really thing that matters, but anyway)

i don't really know what to make of it. fairly high-end equipment making noise when playing a dvd!?

hopefully this is something not caused by my hardware... this stuff was kind of expensive! :)

anyway, i don't go out of my way to be a jerk, but you did come off a bit crass.

my apologies for any misunderstanding on my part.

-Voltaic

if you have all the creative software installed try uninstalling it all and then installing again but only install the drivers not the other crap.

windows sound settings maybe conflicting with the creative one's.

i know when i used to use the creative control panel thing windows used to have a habit of changing the windows sound settings from 5.1 to desktop speakers and often the wave output in the volume controls kept beeing turned down to half way and making some games sound like crap.

other than that try a better software for playing your DVD's i dont know which is best but i like cyberlinks powerdvd.