Secure Your Wireless Network

gamehead200

Good solid advice there!! I did a run to my brother in laws a few weeks back and had Netstumbler on my laptop sniffing the air, I picked up 39 networks of which 28 were totally unprotected!!

Maybe you could add a bit about ipconfig/all showing the mac address of your device, I had to do that with my 802.11b card (OEM)

Good solid advice there!!  I did a run to my brother in laws a few weeks back and had Netstumbler on my laptop sniffing the air, I picked up 39 networks of which 28 were totally unprotected!!

Maybe you could add a bit about ipconfig/all showing the mac address of your device, I had to do that with my 802.11b card (OEM)

Added to the guide... I forgot about it! :rolleyes: Its actually easier to do that then look on the card... :P

Disabled SSID wasn't an issue with XP when I was at my uncle's house with my laptop.

Maybe add links to Kismet and Netstumbler?

I personally have WEP disabled on my network. Stupid first-generation Apple AirPort is too annoying to configure - only accessible from the iBook. Ugh.

Disabled SSID wasn't an issue with XP when I was at my uncle's house with my laptop.

Maybe add links to Kismet and Netstumbler?

I personally have WEP disabled on my network. Stupid first-generation Apple AirPort is too annoying to configure - only accessible from the iBook. Ugh.

Were you using XP's Wireless Zero Configuration tool? Because after I enabled the broadcasting of the SSID, it started working again... And by the way, if wardrivers see your SSID with your network secured and MAC addresses filtered, it'll be funny to see them trying to get in! :lol: Cuz they won't be able to! :P

Added.