Office 2k3 SP1 MUI (multilanguage UI) Guide

Hi, All!

This guide have been originally created for the "Unattended in Russian" web site. I've decided to share my experience with the English speaking audience. Hopefully, some of you will find the guide useful. This is my first guide in English, so I apologize for any possible grammar errors ;-)

All images are hosted at photobucket.com. PM me if that service suddenly becomes unavailable. The stamp on the images is my nickname at the Russian board forum.oszone.net

Introduction

Microsoft has released six CDs with Office 2003 MUI packs for different languages. The Office 2003 MUI packs are available only for the volume licensing customers. The SP1 for Office 2003 MUI has been released simultaneously with the Office 2003 SP1. In this guide I'll explain how to integrate MUI SP1 in the original MUI files and prepare the MUI pack for an unattended installation.

First off you need to download the SP1 for MUI. Please note, that the SP1 files are different for each of the six CDs. Select the one you need, and make sure you download the full version of the update. I'll be operating with the Russian MUI pack, which was originaly released on the fifth CD. My MUI SP1 file name is MUI2003SP1CD5-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe. Make sure you modify all the commands according to your file name.

Stage 1 - Creating an Administrative Installation Point.

Insert your original MUI CD in the CD-ROM, go to Start->Run, and use Browse to navigate to the muisetup.exe file on the CD. Run it with a switch /a

You'll see an administrative installation window

mui_new03.png

Select the location for the admin point and click Next. I have selected C:\OfficeMUI_Admin. Accept the license agreement, choose the language you need and click Install. You'll see the notification window upon completion.

mui_new06.png

Stage 2 - Unpacking Office 2003 SP1 for MUI

All we need is just one command

MUI2003SP1CD5-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe /Q /C /T:C:\MUISP1

Note, that I'm unpacking the SP1 to the C:\MUISP1 folder.

mui_new07.png

This is how the folder will look after you unpack the SP1

mui_new08.png

Now we have different update (.MSP) files for different languages. I'm using MUISP1_RUSff.msp. Check this M$ KB article to determine the file you need.

Stage 3 - Integrating SP1 into the MUI installation files

Again, there's just one command

msiexec /p C:\MUISP1\MUISP1_RUSff.msp /a C:\OfficeMUI_Admin\MUI.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /Lie C:\muilog.txt

mui_new09.png

Note, that /Lie C:\muilog.txt is optional. I've added these switches in order to create the log, and make sure the integration completed successfully.

Now we have integrated the MUI SP1, and have the updated installation files. Let's prepare an unattended installation now.

Office 2003 MUI installation

Method 1 - Custom Installation Wizard

The procedure is similar to configuring Office 2003 files, and you'll get an MST file at the end. I will not cover this method in my guide, so you can try and see how it works :)

The command for an unattended installation will be something like

ECHO.
ECHO Installing MUI for Office 2003 Professional
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeMUI\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=my_mui.MST /qb-

Method 2 - Setup.ini

I like this method better, because it seems shorter. Locate a file setup.ini in Files\Setup. The file is pretty much self-explanatory, because it contains all the necessary comments. I'll just stress the sections pertaining to silent unattended installation.

[Display]
Display=Quiet
CompletionNotice=No

These two parameters specify the automatic installation and supress the completion notice window respectively.

[Cache]
PURGE=1

Removes the cache files after the installation is complete.

If you configure the setup.ini, you will not need any switches during an unattended install. The command will look something like

ECHO.
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeMUI\setup.exe

Final Note

From my observations, upon unattended installation of the MUI pack, Office 2003 language interface automatically matches the system language interface. I don't know how to explain it better, so I'll use an example ;)

I. You have Windows XP Professional English. You install Windows MUI from cmdlines.txt and specify Russian as the default system language. Then, you install Office 2003 and Office 2003 MUI pack from RunOnceEx. Your Office 2003 language interface matches the system language, which is Russian.

II. You don't have Windows MUI pack, and simply install Office 2003 and Office 2003 MUI pack, then your Office interface language stays English, because the system interface language is English. In this case you have to enable Office interface language from the Office Language Settings.

lang_settings.png

Note, there are three options in the menu: same as system, English and Russian.

That's it. The installation approach is different from the one offered by Microsoft. Click. They advise to create a chained installation, but I think the setup.ini method is still shorter.

Thanks for your attention :)

• 2 months later...

msiexec /p C:\MUISP1\MUISP1_RUSff.msp /a C:\OfficeMUI_Admin\MUI.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /Lie C:\muilog.txt

It is not working in XP SP2.

The new commands are:

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options

</package | /i> <Product.msi>

Installs or configures a product

/a <Product.msi>

Administrative install - Installs a product on the network

/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]

Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user

</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>

Uninstalls the product

Display Options

/quiet

Quiet mode, no user interaction

/passive

Unattended mode - progress bar only

/q[n|b|r|f]

Sets user interface level

n - No UI

b - Basic UI

r - Reduced UI

f - Full UI (default)

/help

Help information

Restart Options

/norestart

Do not restart after the installation is complete

/promptrestart

Prompts the user for restart if necessary

/forcerestart

Always restart the computer after installation

Logging Options

/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] <LogFile>

i - Status messages

w - Nonfatal warnings

e - All error messages

a - Start up of actions

r - Action-specific records

u - User requests

c - Initial UI parameters

m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information

o - Out-of-disk-space messages

p - Terminal properties

v - Verbose output

x - Extra debugging information

+ - Append to existing log file

! - Flush each line to the log

* - Log all information, except for v and x options

/log <LogFile>

Equivalent of /l* <LogFile>

Update Options

/update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]

Applies update(s)

/uninstall <PatchCodeGuid>[;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>

Remove update(s) for a product

Repair Options

/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>

Repairs a product

p - only if file is missing

o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)

e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed

d - if file is missing or a different version is installed

c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value

a - forces all files to be reinstalled

u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)

m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)

s - all existing shortcuts (default)

v - runs from source and recaches local package

Setting Public Properties

[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Which one I have to use to update the source with SP1?

• 3 months later...

It is not working in XP SP2.

Which one I have to use to update the source with SP1?

it IS working in XP SP2, just you should first locate the MUI.msi file in the folder of the MUI installation, and fix the above command accourdingly.

In my acse (using Hebrew MUI), the command looked like:

msiexec /p MUISP1_HBRff.msp /a d:\Office2003_MUI\1037\MUI.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /Lie C:\muilog.txt

where d:\Office2003_MUI was the directory I've installed the MUI to.

hope this helps :-)

• 2 weeks later...
If you configure the setup.ini, you will not need any switches during an unattended install. The command will look something like
ECHO.
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeMUI\setup.exe

BTW, with your 2nd method, you could still use MST files to configure further options. the only thing not needed is the /qb- switch...

Hmmm.. I thought I was subscribed to this thread :)

MtK

Yeah, I guess one could use MST and Setup.ini together, but I was talking about the installation methods. There's no need to configure the installation thru MST, if you specify the install options in setup.ini.

Hmmm..  I thought I was subscribed to this thread :)

MtK

There's no need to configure the installation thru MST, if you specify the install options in setup.ini.

Yes, but then U'll have to set a lot of things in the Setup.ini, which are easy configurable thorough the MST...

I'm not trying to convince any1, just a remark...

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone ,

first I would like to thanks all peoples in this nice site and wish all the progress for this site,

I need help

I have Microsfot Office 2003 and it's arabic version , I want to change the interface and tools and help

to Swedish languge , could anyone can help me and guide me to the swedish file to can change User interface ....

thanks for all and iam waiting the reply

with my best regards

Mr. Bluse Sky999