Slipstreaming SP2 with Java VM

infini

I have a Windows XP CD without any SP and i want to slipstream SP2 with Java VM . I have downloaded the file "MSJavaVM_3810.exe" and set the option "DLAUTO=NO" in the Xpcreate.ini file. Any help on what do after that in order to slipstream the service pack? Is there a way to slipstream SUN'S Java VM instead of microsoft? Thanks

I would suggest to use Sun's Java VM - you can find information how to do unattended install on www.java.com. I do it by adding java install into from cmdlines.txt called batch files with following syntax:

ECHO Installing Sun's JRE v1.42.05
start /wait %systemdrive%\oem\install\j2re-1_4_2_05-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 INSTALLDIR=C:\Programme\Java REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"
ECHO.

Just a little question regarding this but what is the actual benefit of using the newer Sun's version as opposed to Microsoft's older version?

Is there any "real" benefits?

(dont shout at me, just an avenue I havent explored properly yet)

Regards,

Nath

The benifits of Sun's Java over Microsoft's version is that it is up to date, and adhers to the Java Standard, also written by Sun. It will also continue to be updated/upgraded, which is not the case for the "no longer in development" Microsoft version. It is also considered more secure by some, though I believe the latest patches to Microsoft's version are secure.

I use Microsoft's version, as it meets my needs just fine, and is a lot smaller, faster, and less obtrusive then the Sun version.

To add Microsoft's version to the XPCREATION, the package can be added to SVC-EXE, if it is switchless. (I believe it is.) There is no mechanism to add Sun's Java, but any of the "standard" unattended methods should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just tryed a build with SP2...although I've install the Sun Java Env 2 (latest) I still get the following in WU:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

If the Virtual Machine is the Java Virtual Machine (too many terms - I get confused hehe) then how is it possible not to install this without it complaining about it.

The only other thing i have listed in the list is the GDI+ Detection Tool thingy.

Has the process of the XPC (funny the abv as I'm using it on a XPC - Shuttle hehe) not slipstreamed something in the SP2 update? Could the SP2 update have been corrupt etc if the above hotfix (816093) is listed?

I'll try rebuilding it again with a fresh copy of the SP2 update/service pack.

[EDIT 12-10-04]

Yep...something must have gone wrong in a previous build...WU is all happy with nothing regarding Virtual Machine / Java Machine / etc.

Havent even installed Sun Java Env 2 yet hehe ;)

Was gonna delete this post but thought I'd leave it here instead incase anyone else gets:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

, listed after they install XP SP2 from a XPCREATE build :)

Regards,

N.

• 2 weeks later...

Install MS Java on WIndows 2000 SP4 , How To Install MS Java on a W2K SP4 topic started by Nostradamus

MSJavWU.exe /c:"javatrig.exe /exe_install /l /qq /nowin2kcheck" /q:a /r:n

You can add a repackaged EXE in SVC-PRE along with IE6SP1.EXE ,iE6START.EXE & DX9C.EXE packages and SVCPACK.INF looks like

[SetupHotfixesToRun] 
DOTNETFX.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< .NET Framework 1.1
DX9C.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< repackaged DirectX9c
IE6SP1.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< repackaged Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
IE6START.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< rundll32 iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess
MSJAVX86.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< repackaged M$ Java VM 3810
LANGPACK.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< .NET Framework Language Pack
SETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N <<< Journal viewer
867460.EXE /QN <<< .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
"MPSETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N /c:""SETUP_WM.EXE /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore /P:#e""" <<< Windows Media Player 9

You can also read these topics :

Ms Java Virtual Machine , Install latest MS JVM in one step topic started by baliktad

Testing msjavwu.exe topic started by Famer