"Windows Key"+"Q" does not switch logons in SP2?

gengo

Recently installed SP2 on an original WinXP system. Now, the ability to switch between logged on users using the "windows key" + the letter "Q" does not work.

Was this an intended function of SP2?

Is it a bug for which a fix [reg hack] exists?

Or am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi all,

In XP SP1, I could 'cycle' through all users, even the guest acount, no matter if they were logged on or had a password [admin account only]. All options were there and they rotated after each press of the [Q] key [while still holding down the windows key].

For some reason, now in XP SP2, all users can be logged on and it does not even come up and give me an option for any of the other users. If you have SP2 and [windows key] + [Q] still works for you, then it must be a problem with my install. Or perhaps there is a way to reset this in the registry.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Hi all,

In XP SP1, I could 'cycle' through all users, even the guest acount, no matter if they were logged on or had a password [admin account only].  All options were there and they rotated after each press of the [Q] key [while still holding down the windows key].

For some reason, now in XP SP2, all users can be logged on and it does not even come up and give me an option for any of the other users.  If you have SP2 and [windows key] + [Q] still works for you, then it must be a problem with my install.  Or perhaps there is a way to reset this in the registry.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

in my host machine i run xp sp1. win+q don't work for me. i've got 2 accounts in the main logon: administrador and my user account with administrator priviledges, both without a password :whistle:

Thanks again everyone.

I have realized my error. I had an old version of [perhaps the first version?] of XP Powertoys installed that allowed this function. It was one executable that installed 5 or so applications [calculator, Tweak UI, etc.].

http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/basic/6.shtml

Have not yet located this install file in my backup disks. And it appears you have to download everything separately now at the MS site.

Edited to add: Found it here . . .

http://www.tippkiste.ch/downloads/powertoysetup.exe

. . . and it works just like I remember.

haha! that's the key! i've also found this, hope it helps (i think not :} )

Super-Fast User Switcher

[Eliminated in the April 2002 Power Toys Release]

Super-Fast User Switching eliminates going back to the Logon screen to switch to another user. Press and hold the Windows key and then press the Q key to cycle through available users. When the desired user tile is showing on the screen release the Windows key to switch to this user.

Requirement: Workgroup membership and Fast User Switching enabled.