xp networking problem

renzki

i have 3 comps running xp pro. the problem is that they cant see each other on the network. i mean they are all connect to the same switch. all of them have signals on the switch. i can ping itself yet not other computers.

settings are:

comp1:

ip: 192.168.2.101

subnet: 255.255.255.0

no gateway address (do i have to place something here? im only using a switch not a router)

comp2:

ip: 192.168.2.102

same subnet

comp3:

ip: 192.168.2.103

same subnet

all them are in the same workgroup. the ping ses request ping timeout. all have shared folders. all doesnt have any firewalls. what could be wrong!?!?!??!?!

I'm far from awake yet this morning. However, that shouldn't prevent me from spouting off at the snout :P

1. Perform an ipconfig /all for each computer. This will allow you to verify your

network settings on each system.

2. Second thing to try would be to ping 127.0.0.1 from each computer. Pinging this

loopback address successfully will verify basic operation of the IP stack.

3. Third, I know you've stated that there is no firewalling. However, if you've

installed SP2 on these systems, the firewall is enabled by default. I'm pretty

sure you already know this, but it needed to be said again, just in case.

4. Trying pinging each computer by name AND IP address.

5. Last (for now), perhaps we should take a closer look at that switch. What

make/model of switch is it? Is it managed or unmanaged (aka dumb)? If it's

managed, then perhaps there's a configuration issue (such as defined VLANs) on

the switch.

Let us know what you discover!

- Ravashaak

I'm far from awake yet this morning.  However, that shouldn't prevent me from spouting off at the snout  :P

1.  Perform an ipconfig /all for each computer.  This will allow you to verify your 

network settings on each system.

2.  Second thing to try would be to ping 127.0.0.1 from each computer.  Pinging this 

loopback address successfully will verify basic operation of the IP stack.

3.  Third, I know you've stated that there is no firewalling.  However, if you've

installed SP2 on these systems, the firewall is enabled by default.  I'm pretty

sure you already know this, but it needed to be said again, just in case.

4.  Trying pinging each computer by name AND IP address.

5.  Last (for now), perhaps we should take a closer look at that switch.  What

make/model of switch is it?  Is it managed or unmanaged (aka dumb)?  If it's

managed, then perhaps there's a configuration issue (such as defined VLANs) on

the switch.

Let us know what you discover!

- Ravashaak

Now that's what I call an explanation :thumbup

I have had a look at your tcpip settings you have not mentioned a default gateway which should be the address of your first pc on the network i:e 192.168.0.1

According to my knowledge, if they are not using gateway to connect to the internet the computers don't need to have gateway entered...

Correct me if I'm wrong..

I think i know what your problem is already.

do you have this protocols enter???

client for microsoft networks

file and printer Sharing

netbios

ipx/spx

tcp/ip

check out your network settings on each computer.

once you have this your good to go.

good luck pare walang problema yan.

p.s. he i are from the same country so that is our local dialect

ive checked the ip stack and its fine, i mean i tried to ping 127.0.0.1 and also its own name it worked fine. ive checked the LAN card properties, all protocols are enabled. another thing is that comp1 can see comp2 but not comp3. when i tried to connect to comp2 from comp1, it ses could not connect becoz the network address cannot be found. both comp2 and comp3 cant see comp1. btw theres this one thing bugging me, on the Network Connections the LAN card has a small gold-colored lock icon with it. ive never seen it before. i have full previliges (admin account). and about the switch thing. from what i know there are three of them in their family. the router (smartest), the switch (not smart enough), and the hub (the dumb one). the one i am using is the middle one. its unmanaged according to the manual. it ses its plug and play.

to the local guy: pre chineck ko na suggestions mo. alam ko na lahat yun. werdo lang kase ang tagal ko nagkakabit ng networks ngayon lang to nangyari.

If you have SP2 installed the firewall will by default block all ICMP (PING) traffic, so this needs to be set to allow echo requests, otherwise you will get "timeout" responses, or just disable the SecurityCentre and WindowsFirewall and do the ping requests and if response, all ok.

I would only have tcp/ip, file and print sharing and client for microsoft networks installed, as easier to troubleshoot less parameters.

I have windows 98, 95, 2000, and xp running on these protocols

on our LAN

client for microsoft networks

file and printer Sharing

netbios

ipx/spx

tcp/ip

no problem with printers or file sharring. furthermore i hv my ip's dynamic. this offers the greatest compatibility in my opinion and experience

btw theres this one thing bugging me, on the Network Connections the LAN card has a small gold-colored lock icon with it. ive never seen it before.

It sounds like that connection has Windows XP's built-in firewall enabled. Disable it, then test again.

- Ravashaak