Ghost V9

Predator

Hi all

I am playng around with Symantec Ghost v9 and i get some strange errors

When using the Recovery Disk(CD) and tring to do System Restore all i get is

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Can't reinstall anything since this is a Windows inverment running from CD

Anyone else having problems ??

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I dont have any solution to any norton software. But I know That you have never try acronis true image. try it and you will drop norton Ghost. FAce it all norton product suck. Norton system crash norton antivirus (except the corporate..)

Want a proof ? Since norton bought powerquest, They did a litlle update on partition magic. 8.02 to 8.05 And now is very unstable and crash often. I had to drop it in my field work... :realmad:

Those norton product are huge,slow, ressource hungry, their only good point is their reputation.

Your talking about Norton Ghost 9. This is a consumer product (there is no Symantec Ghost 9 - at least yet).

Are you using the recovery CD that comes with the product? Or is it a burnt copy?

Albator, I use partition magic 8.05 with no issues. This update was actually written by the powerquest team. Not sure what how you statement can be considered proof.

RO

• 3 months later...
Hi all

I am playng around with Symantec Ghost v9 and i get some strange errors

When using the Recovery Disk(CD) and tring to do System Restore all i get is

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Can't reinstall anything since this is a Windows inverment running from CD

Anyone else having problems ??

Thanks

Did Norton Install the new Ghost Service, and did you see GhostTray.exe on the taskbar actually not have an "X" through it???

Here's the "skinny on Symantec Products...

I've been buying them since 2000. Both Norton AntiVirus and Firewall, a.k.a. "Internet Firewall Security Professional Version 2000", then 2001 through 2004, my subscription has not yet expired BUT I have no intention of purchasing the Upgrade (2005) (my subscription expires at towards the end of the year, nice, eh?) NOW, I have bought Norton Ghost V9.0 and spent AT LEAST 300 hours attempting to get it to work, and I've finally found the answer to all the Ghost problems you and others have been reporting...

Take the Norton CD, put it under the front tire of a heavy truck, and forget about it. It's complete garbage!

I actually owned PowerQuest's Drive Image and Partition Image (names might be slightly different, the boxes are upstairs, & it ain't important.)

Symantec bought these products from PowerQuest and stuck it into Ghost 9. Hence the "PQ" letters that start so many file names.

Let's just say that Norton's Firewall is worse than free firewalls. I've not seen the Version for 2005, but I guarantee you (because of updates I recieve), that Symantec still does NOT give users the capability of transfering the Firewall Settings, and there are more bugs in the Firewall than any previous version I've seen. ALL OF which is to make a single point....

Symantec KNOWS that EVERYONE has a problem with Ghost 9, JUST AS THEY KNOW that their firewall has plenty of bugs, as does the "LiveUpdate" product that requires the most idiotic thing a Firewall Vendor would have their cusstomers do... nameley signon to the Net as a member of the Admin group, running both COM+ Services, and particularly DCOM, not to mention a number of other services that leave your PC wide open to being randomly selected for attack.

THAT'S been the same since 2000, and DESPITE using DCOM, as the means of communication for LiveUpdate (which is in itself, a REALLY stupid idea), THEY HAVE NEVER changed that, BUT HAVE PROPOGATED IT, into all their products!

If ANYONE knows anything about Windows Programming, as a 25 year veteran in DP, with 11 of those years spent doing just Windows, they'd NEVER use COM+, DCOM, or ANY of that garbage. Aside from being garbage, COM. COM+, and in particular (as mentioned before) DCOM, all leave a hole as wide as the Grand Canyon in your Firewall whenever your run LiveUpdate. It doesn't matter what product you run it from.

BTW. Anyone notice that in AT LEAST the PAST 9 months, Symantec has not come up with A SINGLE UPDATE for ANY of the bugs in Ghost 9, to even bother making the product actually usable???

It's the way they operate. Same thing with their Firewall, etc.

There are so many installation and post-installation product bugs in Norton

Ghost 9, you can bank on the fact that it never went through Q&A (Quality Assurance Testing, before release). If they even claimed it did, their entire 1 person Q&A Group must have been eating paint chips since childhood.

Forget Ghost 9. Trash it. Burn it, or just stomp on it. The product will never work correctly in any machine. (It might work on a Windows Version that's undergone almost no changes, or doesn't use NTFS, but I seriously doubt it.) ANYONE TRY GOOGLING FOR: "RTC file is missing" or "Error E9290006"???

I find it rather interesting that a single product keeps coming up, namely a Registration Database fixer-upper thing. Either they just happened to have found a good thing that several thousand people have seen by now, or they just got real lucky. I doubt the latter of the two. Just one fool's opinion that the RTC File being sought either DOES NOT EXIST, and if it does, Ghost has no idea where it is. Expanding the Path to include the 2 directories in Ghost that have RTC files wound help either.

And WHAT I REALLY LOVE THE MOST about Ghost is that EVERY SOLUTION in the Symantect "Knoweledge Base" has you "uninstalling" Ghost. JUST ONE ITTY BITTY PROBLEM....

THEY PROGRAMMED THE INSTALLATION PROGRAM AND MSI File with NO flags, and to ignore uninstall from a right click if even tried off of CD, after you fail to uninstall it from the "Change and Remove Programs" facility.

NOPE... Symantec wants you the walk the ENTIRE REGISTRATION DATABASE, seaching for all occurances of "Ghost", and "PQ", leaving a few files you can still delete out of System32 if you read the readme file. It just takes about and hour or so to "uninstall". What fun, and I'm REALLY SKILLED AT IT, by now! Maybe someone will pay me to do it, eh? Sure.

Symantec's Q&A is none existant now. Their "Knowledge Base" on Ghost 9 would be more approptiately called a "We Haven't Got a Clue Base".

5 years of their Firewall is enough. Reinstalling the **** thing takes me 3 weeks to get all my settings exactly like they previously were setup, since HUNDREDS OF SCREEENS have to be either printed or stored in a hierarchally organized group of folders, and well named files, in order to reproduce a HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED Firewall that I've made during the past 5 Years.

At this point, with 3 PC's. There is NO WAY IN HELL that I would keep using their Firewall, and following tradition, there is no way I could use their product either, even though I can boot from their recovery disk. Big deal, eh?

HERE'S AN ALTERNATIVE TO GHOST ..... check out:

http://www.liutilities.com which has a free download trial, of what I am hoping will be a product that doesn't just back up System Stuff, but can back up entire Logical Partitions with their MBR's and FATs, etc. I have not yet installed the download, so I've no idea if the thing will do a REAL disk recovery, but everything on their Site is written to claim that they can backup image files and clone disks, and have a recovery disk. Try Downloading the Professional Version, from what I read during

an hour or more of perusing their site, indicates that it includes things that would make the Standard Version of their product a real pain in the ... And LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR better prices. I SAW a comparison of existing prices on the Standard edition at another site, and it was WELL BELOW what the Vendor will charge you, if you by their product from them. And Please don't use your Credit Card on the Net. It ain't ready for that sort of thing. Wait a few decades, for that to happen.

RAG, RAG, RAG on Symantect. after 300 hrs working on Ghost 9, and realizing it will never work, I'm just putting out to the public the kind of garbage that company does as a matter of protocol.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/trial/

Makes Win Backup V2 Pro. I downloaded.

Norton Ghost 9 works fine for me, maybe you don't know how to use it prop? :P

But on the other hand, yes it is bloatware, like Windows!!!

~~~~~~

Going back to the First POST:

I at first I had that problem,

The trick is when you make a back-up copy of it, make sure to use NERO and make an *.img file. If you use *.iso or try to convert it from *.xxx to *.iso, it will not work in startup, but will still work in windows when you install it. And don't forget to update it!!! By updating it most of or any problems will go way!

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...