installer shield program won't run from CD

Rico.JohnnY

i.e.

when i used

setup.exe -s -f1"setup.iss"

to install some applications(i.e photoshop cs/ATI catalyst/windvd 6) packed up with installer shield from CD...the installation didn't run..while i installed them from harddisk,they worked perfectly..

why is that? how to fix that so that i can install all my applications from CD...

thx for any suggestion

thx for your advice...i know that full path.. i just give a short exmple

it has no log file created since i run the setup file from CDROM

but when run on harddisk...everything goes fine.maybe it is caused by a read-only problem..

i have the same prob with all the installer shield program i have tried so far...

others just work perfectly except for the installer shield packed up program

any suggestion?

i finally get the answer from google

"When setup.exe is executed in the silent mode from the CD, the default path for dumping the log files is the CD (read-only media). This causes the install shield to exit out without updating any devices. Workaround for this issue is to use a command-line flag option:

setup -s -f2 <path name on c:> to specify a specific path for the log files."

it's caused by the log file.....thx all the same

Installshield apps need to create a log file. Hence some of them wont run from the cd. This is what you need to do as long as the setup.iss file is in the same directory as the setup.exe.

setup.exe -s -f2%systemdrive%\xxxxxx.log

This will create a log file for that app in your systemdrive (C:\ or whichever). You can customize the path to wherever you wanna put it, after the %systemdrive%\.

You can cleanup this log files later when you are finishing off your installation.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! That -f2 switch solved my problem for Acrobat 6, Photoshop CS and InDesign CS, but I it didn't do it for Illustrator CS :( I get this in my logfile:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=-3
[Application]
Name=Adobe Illustrator CS
Version=11
Company=Adobe
Lang=0009

Any ideas?

I installed them the same way to get the .iss file and this is what I use:

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "Adobe InDesign CS" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\InDesign\Setup.exe -s -f2%systemdrive%\AdobeInDesignCSSetup.log" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\044 /VE /D "Adobe Illustrator CS" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\044 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\Illustrator\Setup.exe -s -f2%systemdrive%\AdobeIllustratorCSSetup.log" /f

Thanks. It seems it uses some other .iss file. Perhaps the other previous did a CD to some other directory with a .iss file or created one in the windows folder which it uses instead. I have attached the -f1 parameter as well, which should solve it... Another go with my vmWARE install...

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "Adobe InDesign CS" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\InDesign\Setup.exe -s -f1%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\InDesign\Setup.iss -f2%systemdrive%\AdobeInDesignCSSetup.log" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\042 /VE /D "Adobe Illustrator CS" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\042 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\Illustrator\Setup.exe -s -f1%CDROM%\Apps\Adobe\Illustrator\Setup.iss -f2%systemdrive%\AdobeIllustratorCSSetup.log" /f