how do i assign the local disk back to C drive?

GLO

If you are installing the new system, you've got to create a new partition and install xp on it. Otherwise the system assigns the drive letters in their order on the hd.

So, if you want to replace another installation, delete the partition of the old system, create a new one and install the system on it. Then the systemdriveletter should be c:.

On an existing installation, I don't know, how do change the letter for the systemdrive, already searched a long time for a solution of the problem.

If you are installing the new system, you've got to create a new partition and install xp on it. Otherwise the system assigns the drive letters in their order on the hd.

So, if you want to replace another installation, delete the partition of the old system, create a new one and install the system on it. Then the systemdriveletter should be c:.

On an existing installation, I don't know, how do change the letter for the systemdrive, already searched a long time for a solution of the problem.

The original order placed the OS on Cdrive. that order hasnt changed but somehow the drive letter has!

• 3 months later...
Try to hide other patitions except I: (use PQPM)

Have you tried this? Or anyone else?

I have had to perform a 2005 rebuilt of my OS drive but i was hoping to get it back to C drive, but no luck.

The unattended slipstreamed XPpro sp2 disc i have doesnt always give me the option of which partition i can place it in, and still it does not set it back to C drive.

Please help.

After it is installed, you cannot change the drive letter of the OS partition.

How about if i install the another copy of the OS onto a different Drive then change the drive that i want to be C drive and then install the OS onto that one?

OK, i tried it and it didnt let medo it cause the Cdrive which holds my data also holds the boot.ini file so i cant change it.

Thus i cant free up that letter C.

Bugger. :realmad: