Get rid of windows security alerts

Coco

Does anyone know how you can get rid of the windows security alert icon if you don't turn on automatic updates? I don't want ot get into it but I don't want to turn on windows update on a certain machine. Of course if I don't you got this stupid annoying windows securit alert sitting beside the clock that just won't go away.

So does anyone know how to make it leave the clock. In effect I don't need to security center to work at all. I mean sure the firewall can run and antivirus can run but I don't need windows to tell me what they're doing. If I wanna know I can go and check myself. I just want to get this thing out of my system tray.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

*UPDATE* - Oddly, my last attempt to use this patch did not work.

These registry settings will disable windows security alerts and can be applied at install time in an automated fashion. The previous sentence was for the benefit of people searching for the solution to this problem.

---snip---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]

"FirstRunDisabled"=dword:00000001

"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000

"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000000

---snip---

throw that in a .reg file; one is attached.

securitypopups.reg

Edited by chasemus

I figured it out for real this time.

You need to carve lines out of TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF or remove the security center service component using nLite. I recommend using nLite.

Note that nLite will modify TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF. Other modified stamps will be affected but WINNT.SIF is left alone and nothing else is actually changed.