help installing xp!

cratix

when i install windows xp on a 98 machine it doesnt work the pc wont boot up so im trying to load it on a blank harddrive im doing everything right its just not working and its not the harddrive cause it works in my other pc it just wont work with that 1 computer for some reason would could be wrong??? i fromatted it as fat32 could that be the problem or?

it is not because of the FAT32, I get this on some coputers when I try and Install windows xp on them. What I do is remove all PCI cards from the computer, then I install windows xp, and then after the computer is up and running, power down, install one pci card, turn on the computer, install the drivers or let windows install them, then do the same with the other cards. Seems to work for me most of the time.

I would say check for compatibility once.

Put the CD in the drive, and in the autorun that comes up, choose "Additional tasks" and run a compatibility analysis - that will tell what hardware and software if any (that exist on your machine) are incompatible. Helps to a certain distance in knowing what's wrong.

when i install windows xp on a 98 machine it doesnt work the pc wont boot...

have you got boot CD settings enable, this way the cd will boot when you turn the pc on and will ask if you press any key to continue to install windows xp.

yes i got boot setting enable and there are no pci cards in it im installing it on a blank harddrive the harddrive that was in it went bad and would not load windows 98 so i put it in another computer and formatted it put it back in the one im tryting to put xp on and it dont work comes up as a fatal error or something...

Ok, so are you able to boot of your XP CD?

If you can and get to the stage where it shows you what HDD you have, can you see yours listed there?

If yes, just hit enter and it will use all of HDD to install to.

If no, then your HDD isn't being seen.

Go to BIOS and autodetect HDD and if it then shows, save settings, exit, reboot and start again.

If no, the your HDD or BIOS or Main(Mother)board or IDE or powercable could be at fault, so,

ensure jumpers on HDD are set to master, ensure IDE is plugged into IDE1/Primary, ensure power cable is tight and try again, if still no lck then possible hardware failure.