Unattended AFTER OS installed

What I am trying to do is just take my 'install.bat' file and run it from a fresh OS install across the network. Say, for instance, one of my customers buys a new Dell with the OS already on it. I just want to install the apps that they need, instead of starting completely over. So far, some apps install, and some don't. I think that it might be a Windows File Protection problem, but I am not sure. I tried installing the apps one at a time. I also tried instlalling them after disabling WFP. If anyone has had experience doing this, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

GnarlyC

If you did them one at a time, you should know which ones are giving you problems.

If I were to do this, I would personally just copy over the $OEM$ folder the way setup does. Run the commands in cmdlines.txt. You could probably automate all of this.

You might get a little more help if you told us exactly what files are giving you problems. I'm guessing the hacked windows files. How did you disable wfp? I'm not sure how well the reg hack works, but I'm told the hacked file works. So you could just have them go into safe mode.

start /wait \\server\VPHOME\CLT-INST\WIN32\setup.exe /qn
start /wait \\server\install\AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""
start /wait \\server\install\Notes\setup.exe -s -F1 \\server\install\Notes\setup.iss
start /wait \\server\install\CA_51\setup.exe -s -f1 \\server\install\CA_51\setup.iss
start /wait \\server\install\voloview\volovep.exe -s -f1 \\server\install\voloview\setup.iss
start /wait \\server\msoffice\setup.exe /qn
start /wait \\server\install\tightvnc-1.2.9-setup.exe /silent
start /wait \\server\install\install_aim.exe /s
start /wait \\server\install\install_armor.bat
start /wait \\server\install\auto_disk_maint\install.bat
start /wait \\server\install\auto_disk_maint\schedule.bat
xcopy \\server\install\*.url "c:\Documents and settings\All Users\Desktop\"
ECHO.
ECHO DONE!
shutdown -f -r -t 5

This is the actual install.bat file. I'm not doing anything fancy, really. I will test it again, and narrow down which apps install and which ones don't. These are Win2K Pro PCs. Here's what everything is:

1) SAV 9.0

2) Acrobat Reader 6

3) Lotus Notes 5.08

4) IBM Client Access 5.1

5) VoloView Express 2.x

6) Office 2000

7) TightVNC

9) AOL IM

10) ARMOR - old DOS 'database' program that still runs the company...

11) copies (ps)shutdown & autodefrag commands to c:\windows

12) starts 'at' job to schedule disk cleanup, defrag, & chkdsk

13) copies web links to desktop

Thanks for the help. I will post again soon after doing another test.

GnarlyC

This is the case where RunOnceEX is the best solution, IMO. Starting with small apps, leaving those big ones and antivirus to the end.

One thing I'm not sure of is wether your server can be detected before the shell is completely loaded.

maybe you need to map a drive to the server - perhaps the programs cannot install unless it comes from a drive letter?

RunOnceEX is a lot pretty too.

And I agree - do the small apps first - make anti-virus last.

your BAT files might have issues.

Make sure everything is qualified out if you think that might be an issue.

Hey GnarlyC

If I understood you correctly, you are taking the .bat file meant for the UI disc and just trying to run that from within windows. If that's the case, you problem is most likely caused by windows file names. When running a .bat under windows, the directory/filename structure needs to be MSDDOS compatible. If you change your directyory/filename structure to that format, everything should install normally.

Example: \\server\install\auto_d~1\schedule.bat instead of \\server\install\auto_disk_maint\schedule.bat

The directory \auto_disk_maint is longer than 8 characters, which MSDOS no likey. :)

MadBomb

What I am trying to do is just take my 'install.bat' file and run it from a fresh OS install across the network. Say, for instance, one of my customers buys a new Dell with the OS already on it. I just want to install the apps that they need, instead of starting completely over. So far, some apps install, and some don't. I think that it might be a Windows File Protection problem, but I am not sure. I tried installing the apps one at a time. I also tried instlalling them after disabling WFP. If anyone has had experience doing this, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

GnarlyC

You can edit my unattended FTP script to do exactly what you're asking.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=25929&hl=