What's faster?

ThA_FiLeR

About a week ago I bought a Maxtor ATA133 hard drive at BestBuy which was broken somehow and I had to return it. Now they don't have that one anymore so I went looking what else I can get. I was wondering what's faster for games and stuff. The ATA133 from Maxtor or the 8MB cache from Western Digital.

Thanks for the advice.

My understanding is that you won't find a huge difference between say an ATA100 Maxtor with 2mb cache and an ATA133 Maxtor with 2mb cache,on a board that supports 133 transfer. However a larger cache like the ATA100 WD 8mb cache will perform better with your graphics card apps such as games,Photoshop,etc.Larger cache means faster disk writes.Here is a comparison between a WD 1000 with 2mb cache and a WD 1000 with 8mb cache there is a big difference between the two.The 8mb ATA's are suppose to be rivals to some SCSI drives.Anyway here is what I found.Comparison

I have both the 5400 rpm ATA 100 Maxtor and the 7200 rpm ATA 133 Maxtor. I can't tell the difference between the two in game play , benchmarks are the same also in 3D Mark that is.

Fast CPU , lots a Ram , Fast V-Card gets the job done in games :)

As I said the larger cache drives (8mb) are perfoming better.Most drive manufacturers will be going with the larger cache HD's.I wouldn't worry about game performance with the system you have now Filer,if the price is right on the WD go for it. :)

I have both the 5400 rpm ATA 100 Maxtor and the 7200 rpm ATA 133 Maxtor. I can't tell the difference between the two in game play , benchmarks are the same also in 3D Mark that is.

Fast CPU , lots a Ram , Fast V-Card gets the job done in games  :)

heh well youve must have been running the wrong benchmarks.

Ive had as most around here know every type of harddrive availble."Major brands" and have ran benchmarks and by far a 5400 is way way bad news. Secondly I have had more maxtors be put in the dirt by western and seagates. To be honest I got a segate barrecoda and it wipe all my hard drive asses with access times and read sections. Just do some bargin shopping and stick with the main brands and high cache. In the future is what you need to be looking for and when buying hardware keep that in mind.

-XP

Ask around..

I found the 120 w/8m buffer for $142 shipped!!

[ Dell Home software & Peripherals has 25% off Dell-branded accessories with coupon code 1359819CB7CE, exp 8/25. Free shipping $99+. No sales tax in most states.

Dell/WD 120GB 8MB Buffer 7200rpm Hard Drive Special Edition $189 - 25% off = $142 shipped. Search "340-3277".

Dell 80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive for $115 - 25% off = $86 shipped. Search "340-2966". ]

I copied that info from xpbargains.com

there was a 40Gb going for $10 but it expired..

Today I went out and bought a 80GB Maxtor ATA133 7200RPM. The WD 8MB hard drives were expensive, a 60GB for $140. I bought this maxtor for only $100.

That drive is the best buy nowadays, I just got mine a couple of days ago.

Boo, all has been said here :rolleyes:

Anyways, i have a Maxtor Hard Drive and recommend it. Servers are really only what need a super fast HD. If your Hard Drive is slow your CPU will compensate it and all should be fine :)

• 3 weeks later...

About a month or 2 ago, I bought the WD 120GB 8MB Buffer HD, for my fTp..

It works great..

However...my $200 filled wallet, was empty after I bought it....

:)