NO burn needed to play with program silent install

Hi! All

It is time consuming to re-burn a new CD each time to run a install test for your favorite programs so here is how I got around the re-burn when I run the test for installing my favorite programs. I hope someone else can use this cause I have found allot of great stuff here so far and I would like to add too it..

I am using a CD-RW to play with a extra hard drive and I have my hard drive split up into to partitions C:/ And D:/

Just as a note remember this for later when you get all done you can burn the stuff onto the CD but change the environment variable %XPC% to look at the regular variable called %systemroot%\install

What I did is put the install program in a folder called D:/XPCDinstall they will not be burned or moved during the install for the test,, They normal go in this one %yourpath%\$OEM$\$1\Install... I used XPCDinstall folder name on the D:\ drive so when I do a search it is easy to search a different variable name

Step one

open the hivesys.inf file and add the middle line save and exit...

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","windir",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","XPCD",0x00020002,"D:\XPCDinstall"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive","AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads",0x00010003,0

Step Two

create a folder on the D:\ drive called XPCDinstall this is where you will put all the stuff that you normal put in the %yourpath%\$OEM$\$1\Install that gets install during the RunoneEX when you log in the first time..

Step Three

put a file called RunOnceEx.cmd in this folder %yourpath%\$OEM$\ This file normal set up the runonce keys but we are going to do it from the tick of the eye file XPCDRunOnceEx.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

start %XPCD%\XPCDRunOnceEx.cmd
start /wait sleep.exe 10

EXIT

Step Four

open the cmdlines.txt and make sure you have this in there

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Step Five

in the CDXPinstall folder on the hard drive save this in a file called XPCDRunOnceEX.cmd all this stuff normal go in the other runonceEX but we are putting it here ao you can change the runonceex keys with out hving to reburn

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Preparing Vernon's Profile" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "SetUp ZoneAlarm" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%XPCD%\ZoneAlarm\ZoneAlarm.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "SetUp PopUpCop" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%XPCD%\PopUpCop\Pop_Up_Cop.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "AdShield" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%XPCD%\Adshield\AdShield.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "spywareblaster" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%XPCD%\spywareblaster\spywareblasterUpdate.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "IESPY List" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\IESPYList\ie-ads.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\IESPYList\adult.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\980 /VE /D "Importing Folder Options" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\980 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\Folderoptions\FolderoptionsPart1.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\980 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\Folderoptions\FolderoptionsPart2.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\985 /VE /D "Importing Register Tweaks *** NOTE *** add tOOL bar fix later" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\985 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\RegTweaks\regtweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\990 /VE /D "Setting Services Startup Type" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\990 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\Services\Services.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\999 /VE /D "CleanUp Finish" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "%XPCD%\CleanUpFinish\CleanUpFinish.cmd" /f

EXIT

Step Six

here is an example using popupcop inside the cmd I changed the normal %systemroot%\install to %XPCD%

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
Cls
TITLE Setup PopUpCop

ECHO.
ECHO SetUp PopUpCop

REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\PopUpCop\HKCUPoPUpCop.reg
REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\PopUpCop\HKLMPoPUpCop.reg
start /wait %XPCD%\PopUpCop\PopUpCop.exe /s /v /qn
taskkill /F /IM IEXPLORE.EXE
REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\PopUpCop\HKCUPoPUpCop.reg
REGEDIT /S %XPCD%\PopUpCop\HKLMPoPUpCop.reg

EXIT

So as you can see when you run the test install by using the %XPCD% enviroment variable you can load the stuff from the D:drive.. and keep the old burned CD....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++

Now it is time for you to play just remember this is my layout and you will have to change the words to yours.....

And if you are totally confused :wacko: start by reading this..

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/runonceex.htm

Mac!

P.S.

I am going to leave my installations programs on the D:\ drive cause that is just the way I'm doing mine...

Wouldn't it be easier to make a iso and test in Virtual PC or VMWare? :unsure:

Much easier :P... All that work and then you would have to change some stuff in the end aswell...

Much easier :P... All that work and then you would have to change some stuff in the end as well...

For me NO cause I am leaving the install files on the D:/ drive any way,,

And I have not burned my final cause I'm using a CD-RW a rewritable CD

Wouldn't it be easier to make a iso and test in Virtual PC or VMWare? :unsure:

LOL I have a few big hard drive to play with and they are in Mobile Racks..

http://www.techarts.com/products/drivedraw...w=mobile%20dock

Also it takes time to generate a new ISO to play with.. I took that travel time out of the equations..... I use the same CD-RW for each test run... ONLY the files on the D:\ change

Also when you burn all setup program files into the iso you have to wait for windows to copy them all to the C:\ drive.. in my set up the programs are being installed from the D:\ drive... no pre copy needed.. travel time less even more...

SO! This way I only have to edit the files on the second hard drive partition two.. and do a quick clean of the second drive parition one,, Then Virtual PC or VMWare is turn off the computer pull out my controlling hard drive then power back up... The second test drive boots up as master then.. and away we gooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Pulling the control drive is turn the key switch to off and slide the rack forward a little so it is not connected electrically..

also in the end if it is posible I hope to have the ISO of my favorite install programs on the D:\ drive too and I will let Daemon tools spin them up then figure out what switches I need to install them silent ... :thumbup

and as time goes on I will just have to update the d:\drive with updates,,,

so when i get ready to install a new drive I will just copy the D:\ drive to the new drive... and away we go with updates too.....

Mac!