XP won't accept my gamepad driver

Skyfrog

This is making me mad. I have a Gravis Xterminator Force gamepad, and by default Windows installs it as an HID device with no support for force feedback. Windows Update does detect it properly and offers me a driver (Immersion HIDClass 4.50) which installs and works great if I install it from Windows Update. With SP2 being out I decided to download the driver and put it right on my new slipstreamed CD so I wouldn't have to bother with it anymore. Now here is the problem; when I point the device manager to the inf file it says "This location does not contain information about your hardware". WTF? Why would Windows Update detect it properly and work fine, but trying to install it manually is a no go? Is Windows that stupid or am I doing something wrong? I've tried for several hours to force it to install but it just refuses to accept it. The driver is WHQL certified by the way. Any ideas?

I have downloaded the Gravis Xperience software also, same version drivers, and these will not install either. Windows XP simply refuses to use anything but the generic driver unless I get it through Windows Update, and on dial-up that is really annoying to have to do every time. :)

At the moment I'm running SP1 and the driver shows up in v4 of Windows Update. I do recall having trouble with the drivers before SP1 also and I always had to use Windows Update to install it. I have not tried it with SP2 just yet but I imagine it will still happen. I may have a defective gamepad but I can't understand why it is correctly identified from Windows Update and the driver installs from there, but it won't allow me to install it manually. I'm actually thinking of throwing this thing out the window and buying one from Logitech. Gravis support has never once offered to help me out with it.

That was an amazingly fast reply by the way. Thanks :)

it must be a severe bug, cus that is what it did with my bluetooth device, i pointed it to the right location and it didnt find anything, sp2 insisted on using its own silly generic bluetooth radio drivers (which by the way are crap, try sending a few photos at once from your phone *IMPOSSIBLE*) how i got around it was CONTROL PANEL -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> right click on the item that you want to add a new driver for -> click update driver -> click option No, not this time -> install from a list or specific location -> click option dont search, i will choose the driver to install -> check show compatible hardware, and see if it lists the hardware correctly (if so click it then click next) if not click have disk then browse to the inf file for the driver, then all should be well

good luck