Workgroup problem

Drewdatrip

I reformated a computer and when i reinstalled i inputted the existing Network name as Mshome, when actully is was "workgroup" now i can no longer network between the existing network. I tryed to rename and or change the workgroup, but i am still yet to get it to function, Anyone got a clue??

thankx!

-Drew

Try to put all the names on the computers as Mshome. If that doesnt work try to connect to them by ip if that doesnt work it's not the network name. And it could be a firewall on one of the computers that you might have to re-configure.

• 1 month later...

Yeah Drew - If you renamed the workgroup so that all are the same - it is most likely the XP firewall. When you re-installed XP, the firewall probably is on by default. Also - be sure to enable File & Printer Sharing on the re-install. One other thing - workgroup is the default - you might want to change all comuters on your network to a less comon workgroup name.

LS_Dragons

Yea...

Here are possible things to try:

-Make sure firewalls are ALL off, including the XP Built in Firewall in Network Conenctions> Properties> Advanced

-Make sure all the computers, are using Mshome

(Note: Mshome, is case sensative, they all have to have capital M if it is Mshome)

-All are using different network addresses, 192.168.0.--, and that they are all on the same subnet masks...

:)

• 2 weeks later...