SP2 Final not quite final?

bkraptor

XPerties, I believe you're completely offtopic. And with that kind of attitude there will be lots of things you will never understand.

gabriel, thanks for the complete response, you answered my question.

@bkraptor

excuse me to say and i don't read very well your language but i said excactly the same as gabriel_buc in english, yet from me you did not take my explanation.

Open you mind? you said

viceversa, what gabriel said and you didn't was the fact that the other file I was comparing the MS one with was probably a fake.

One thing about what gabriel said is not true though...

si oameni gata sa te ajute in orice probl.

It's for him and he knows what it means

Bk, lose the attitude. :) You're the one who is not learning here. :rolleyes:

The file 'WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe' with the MD5 checksum of 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7 is, without question, the final build of Service Pack 2 and was released to manufacturing (RTM) on the 4th (or was it the 6th?). Any other file that does not match the information Gabriel posted is one of the pre-release builds that some people are trying to pass off as the final build. Once again, which is more likely to be genuine, the file available for download at Microsoft's website or some file from some P2P network?

[Edit]Agh, I was too slow! :D

To clear the confusion:

Both of the files discussed below are final SP2 builds, also known as RTM and build2180.

"xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe" is what many of the more impatient people grabbed from a chinese site, and from P2P networks. It is the final SP2, but unsigned. So it is called a fake. It might have embedded bad code or viruses or hacked INFs or a backdoor trojan, who knows.....

Those of you who got that file are recommended to get the original now, from MS itself.

"WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" is the real one, original. It is the final SP2, the real deal. It is signed, and was avaialable for official download from WindowsBeta for beta testers (and other special privileged people), and MSDN downloads for earlier than it got publicly released at MS download center yesterday.

I like being open-minded, and that's why I don't like excluding the different possibilities. What made me suspect this was not the final version was the fact that the boot screen has some parts missing (like the "Professional" and the year of the copyright). I regarded the possiblity of the 1st file being a fake as very low, that is why I made the assumption that both were MS at origin. With the help of gabriel, who, btw, kindly explained that the 1st file is most likely a fake, I reached the conclusion that my 1st assumption (the one about both files being of MS origin) was false. Thus the problem (at least from my pov) is solved.

What I don't like, though, is people that view me from above and give me useless answers like RTFM and such. I am a member of lots of forums and this is BY FAR the most aggressive one I've visited. I really believe you should not have this kind of attitude towards newcomers, as I do everything possible to avoid doing this on the forums I am an "elder".

<edit>

prathapml, thanks for the explanation of what "xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe" really is.

I am not rude, but i can't understand that you can not understand what you read on that page.

Its say clearly that the package "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" version (278 927 592 bytes, MD5 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7) is the FINAL.

Why do you try to compare a different version one that has not the same name but probably downloaded somewhere els then the  MS site. So where did you get that other package? Not from MS thats for shure....

Again al your questions are answered on that page.

btw, welcome...

My last and final respond and then i close this debate.

First of all i did ask you “where did you get that other version (xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe) from”. You never responded to it. I was never aware of any official version besides WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

As a member of the Official beta test team, i had my official version (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) on first hand right from windowsbeta.microsoft.com. Therefore I knew your version (the first one) must have been a fake, and downloaded somewhere else but sure not on the M$ sites as you can read in the quote.

I am a member of this board and i respect everybody's opinion, but as in a true democracy, i can always give my opinion to,

Even without been rude as you like to call me. I do not view people from above and give useless answers. I try to help people on this board as I do on other forums.

The fact is:

You did read the threat I pointed you to but you did not understand it. Your stubbornness despite, you would have learnt that there was only one official version. Nobody spooked about any other official version there and therefore your question was answered in that threat.

Your real question was about the rtm string in iexplorer, and that one can only be answered by M$ I am afraid.

VV

XPerties, I believe you're completely offtopic. And with that kind of attitude there will be lots of things you will never understand.

I understand completely. My attitude? Have you stopped and read this thread lately?

Grab a mirror.

I think this thread resolved bkraptor problem and should be closed, cause it tends to become a batle field :rolleyes:

What I said to bkraptor was exactly what you all said before, but was written in Romanian (bkraptor and my language), in a calm voice and a detailed manner. :)

It's true that some of you have been quite rude and I don't think this is the purpose of this forum.

I'm just a junior on this forum, but until now I like it very much. Lots of people ready to help you in any problem. So don't spoil my excelent oppinion I have about this forum.

OK, here's some info for those of you who have got back on topic, and want to know still more:

The debate about RTM string turns out to be pretty unnecessary because:

1. RTM release

2. final release

3. build 2180

4. RTW (release to web - MS download center).

5. Public version

6. SP2 for AU (is just the precise set of files needed by the user, a smaller version of RTM - with the same files)

6. NT, ver. 5.1.2600.2180

All of the above mean the *SAME* thing. They are all one and the same, there's no difference between any of the above, once you have installed it onto your PC.

So there. Any more questions related to this (as indeed there will be, as more and more of "un-official" beta-testers move to SP2), and they can be re-directed to this post, or this info posted there.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that some people don't seem to understand what RTM means. RTM is a term used by software companies to say that the software has been released to 'manufacturing' not to manufacturers. This term is used for all software developed by microsoft. all it means is the build is final, and we're sending this version to the company that makes our cd's for us.

With most software, theres a manufacturing time, where a company presses millions of cds, then the sofware ends up on store shelves. Since this is a free download, it was put on the web within days, no real 'maufacturing' time.

But essentially, RTM means this is the final bits which will be distributed to the public.

So true gai-jin, if it said RC instead. Which is a ready candidate. You may have a problem then. I'm glad. My hash is same as others from a bit-torrent download and is cool.

HASH : 59A98F181FE383907E520A391D75B5A7

:):rolleyes::D