Getting IP Changed help...

I got Comcast Cable Internet, and they use Static IP's last time i checked... (Obtains IP from the ISP) anyone know of a way too get this changed when you want...? I've had multiple IP's from Comcast so I know they are static (changed so much i had too get a DNS too keep up such as cjb.net) My current IP address is getting hit by someone trying common trojan horse ports and FTP/Web that are blocked by my router and firewall program.

I've tried powercycling the modem (unplug wait half hour plug back in)

I've tried resetting the modem (hold down the button in the back have too re-run their software and it gives back my old IP)

I've tried just having 1 comp connected and doing IPconfig /releaseall hoping.. but i may have done that wrong..

any help will be appreciated

Thanks

hmm believe it or not I had just read about changing ip yesterday

i'll have to find the url.

i think it was something like

go to local area connection

right click on it

go to properties

enter an ip (change the last 3 digits) of your original ip

put 255.255.255.0 for subnet

then press okay

wait for a while until the modem starts to blink

then go to local area properties again but this time set it to obtain ip automatically

and according to the guide I had read this should do it.

there is no way I find that article from history...

hope this works 4 u.

hmm, i'll try it later on today don't wanna have too completly remove internet access during the day.

When i had just once computer connected right too the modem, it was giving me a new IP whenever i powercycled. but once i plugged back into my router it gave me back my old IP. :)

but yea, i'll try your method later tonight and tell you how it goes thanks :rolleyes:

Just to clarify...

If you obtain your ip automatically from your isp that is DYNAMIC. If you enter your ip manually and it never changes, that is STATIC.... seems you have your terms backwards.

Anywho, changing your ip is pretty straightforward on a cable network. The easiest way is to change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem. If you use a router, most have that feature in the config.

If you connect your computer directly to the cable modem, you can change the nic card, thus changing your mac address, et voila, a new ip.

Cheers

Just to clarify...

If you obtain your ip automatically from your isp that is DYNAMIC.  If you enter your ip manually and it never changes, that is STATIC.... seems you have your terms backwards.

Anywho, changing your ip is pretty straightforward on a cable network.  The easiest way is to change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem.  If you use a router, most have that feature in the config.

If you connect your computer directly to the cable modem, you can change the nic card, thus changing your mac address, et voila, a new ip.

Cheers

I have DSL and whenever I connect I get a new IP... Dynamic of course... If I had a static IP, I'd be getting hacked 24/7! :)

Also depends on how long the lease time set by your provider is. If you don't have anything powered on and connected to the modem (computer, router whatever) for the duration of the lease, it will expire. And chances are you will have a diff ip the next time you are on.

If you obtain your ip automatically from your isp that is DYNAMIC.  If you enter your ip manually and it never changes, that is STATIC.... seems you have your terms backwards.

Anywho, changing your ip is pretty straightforward on a cable network.  The easiest way is to change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem.  If you use a router, most have that feature in the config.

er.... i got confused...

heres the system data on my ROUTER

System Data
I.P. Address:  192.168.100.252
Network Mask:  255.255.255.0
DHCP Server:  ON
DHCP Start IP Address:  192.168.100.10
DHCP Finish IP Address: 192.168.100.51

Internet Connection method: Cable - Modem - Direct (DynamicIP address)
I.P. Address:     *REMOVED FOR SECURITY* <-- Internet IP Address
Network Mask:    255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 24.6.160.1
DHCP Client:     ON
DNS IP Address: 204.127.199.8

and heres the Connection Details

Internet
IP Address:  *REMOVED FOR SECURITY* <-- Internet IP Address
Network Mask:  255.255.248.0
Default Gateway:  24.6.160.1
DNS IP Address:  204.127.199.8
DHCP Client:  ON
Lease obtained:  4 days,0 hrs,0 minutes
Remaining lease time:  3 days,12 hrs,19 minutes

anyone have any idea of any step by step instructions that might help me out?

I can change the MAC address, but do i just change it and change it back too default or what? also, I have a Release button for the Leases but everytime i try too renew them they come back with the same IP....

Thanks

I can change the MAC address, but do i just change it and change it back too default or what? also, I have a Release button for the Leases but everytime i try too renew them they come back with the same IP....

Thanks

Ok, so you know how to change the mac address on the router?

If you use a linksys, there should be a tab called mac addr clone, or something along those lines. This is where you enter the mac address that you want to appear on the wan.

And once it's changed, leave it for as long as you want the ip. When you want to change your ip again, change the mac by 1 character, as many new ips as you want :)

Just a side note, you can only enter valid hex characters in that field, so 0-9, and A-f

ie, 00:A7:09:FF:3D:11

Also, from your connection details, it shows that the lease time is 4 days. So theoretically, after 4 days of using a different mac address, you should be able to revert back to your original one, and get a different ip altogether.

cheers