Chipsets

sfamonkey

What are chipsets?

I've searched ONE second with Google:

The term chipset is now (2003) commonly used for a PC's motherboard configuration: the usual standard is to use two microchips, the northbridge (used to "bridge" between the processor and main memory) and the southbridge (used to communicate with all the other peripherals). Different chipset technologies can have major impacts on a computer performance, especially on multiprocessor systems.

source: http://www.free-definition.com/Chipset.html

EDIT: 550 posts!

A chipset is just that - a set of chips slapped together to form the basic I/O sub-system of a PC.

There is no entry as such in device manager for the chipset, but the [iDE/ATAPI controller] used will normally indicate which chipset you use (unless you did not install the drivers from your MoBo's CD, or have a very old MoBo - in which cases you will just use generic drivers).

which file do I use
Are you asking which driver files on the hard-disk are supporting your chipset, or do you mean to ask which drivers to download/use (for an unattended install) ?

If you want to find out what chipset your MoBo is built on, you can download and use these tools:

1. WinCPUid

2. Everest Home Edition

Which driver in the screenshot do I use for an unattended install?
You don't need to bother about that - put the folder containing the .INF files (like the screenshot above) for the driver on the CD - and list it in the OEMpnpDriversPath, that's all.

BTW, as Alanoll says, it doesn't look like all of the required files are in that folder (the Intel 845/865 drivers are quite bloated with 70 or more files, and occupy 13 MB or so). So maybe you want to go to Intel's website (the driver download section) and get the latest drivers.

If the above method (OEMpnpDriversPath) doesn't quite seem simple enough to do, you might prefer to read through the MSFN official uA CD guide, located here - do read it carefully, 'coz most questions that people ask is actually because they did not properly read it, and made mistakes - so no answers are given, except to read the guide properly. If you can't be online for long (using a dial-up) to read the guide, you can download the offline version (PDF) which is also available right there.