$OEM$ Tree

Hi, I<m currently making an unattended xp installation. Everything work fin (Even the slipstream of sp2 and office 2k3) but I have a problem. My cdrom tree reside like this (see picture).

Now, the files/folders into $docs and $progs aren't copied at all. They stay on the cd. Can anyone tell me why???

Thanks

post-70-1090602509_thumb.jpg

Edited by nodiaque

Hi, I<m currently making an unattended xp installation. Everything work fin (Even the slipstream of sp2 and office 2k3) but I have a problem. My cdrom tree reside  like this (see picture).

Now, the files/folders into $docs and $progs aren't copied at all. They stay on the cd. Can anyone tell me why???

Thanks

Where's the picture? (as you mentioned it....)

also, post the WINNT.sif file

quote from http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/winnt_sif.htm

As you read on the previous page, we're using the $OEM$ distribution folders to install our favourite software, drivers, and registry tweaks. But to make this work, we need to specify two values in the winnt.sif file under [unattended]:

[unattended]

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch="yes"

oh dam, forget to attach the picture lol, post edited

Here is my winnt.sif

;
; Generated by nLite 0.98.3 Beta
;

[Data]
MsDosInitiated = 0
UnattendedInstall = Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch = Yes
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemSkipEula = Yes
OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\000_chipset\IDE\WinXP;Drivers\000_chipset\GART;Drivers\000_chipset\SMBus;Drivers\000_chipset\MemCtl;Drivers\000_chipset\Ethernet;Drivers\001_network;Drivers\001_network\WINXP;Drivers\002_graphics;Drivers\004_sound\WDM;Drivers\005_monitor"
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = No
TargetPath = "\Windows"
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
Hibernation = No
KeyboardLayout="Canadian French"

[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota = 0

[SetupParams]
SkipMissingFiles = Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword = "###########"
TimeZone = 035
OEMSkipRegional = 1
OemSkipWelcome = 1
AutoLogon = Yes

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 32
Xresolution = 1024
Yresolution = 768
Vrefresh = 85

[UserData]
ProductKey = "#############"
ComputerName = "MERADOR"
FullName = Neo's Computer
OrgName = ""

[RegionalSettings]
Language = 1009

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = "Paradox"

[Networking]

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\first_boot.cmd

But like I said, only $Docs and $Progs doesn't work. $OEM$ work

oh dam, forget to attach the picture lol, **SNIP**

move $Progs and $Docs to ($1 <-- wrong) $oem$ and you are gone....

but ermmm... why copy winzip? why not install?

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Winzip\wzip.exe /s

and favorites you can run a copy command in CMD:

xcopy /y /e %systemdrive%\install\favorites "%userprofile%\favorites"

why winzip??? because winzip 9.0 won't do a silent install except if you run the winzip32.exe with /autoinstall /bnotip /noqp... this is what winzip.com says...

and since I delete my install and drivers folder after the install, winzip need the .exe on next reboot, so easier this way

dam... badly readed the picture... thanks!

btw, is there anything like %profiledir% ? Because I change my administrator username and I want to be able to put my favorites in it. $Docs put into documents and settings, but I'd like something like $user or something of the like (or via batch file)

%userprofile% :). please see my last post, i have edited it....

edit: ok, i see.... ( i have winrar and it is easy to install it silenty....)

$Docs and $Progs should be placed in $OEM$.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/oemfolders.htm

Having a folder named administrator is going to cause a problem. When setup finds that folder in Documents and Settings, it will create a new folder called Administrator.computername. Your favorites will end up being in the wrong place. You can make a self extracting archive of the Admin folder, place it in $Docs, and the extract it during RunOnceEx. Or just copy the files that you need over to the administrator folder (or other user folder) sometime during setup.

the real question is, did you disable/remove OOBE?

$Docs and $Progs aren't really part of the OEM PreInstall, but I believe more of a part of OOBE.they're copied over during GUI setup (the Blue windows screen, with those annoying ads) instead of txtmode.

Having a folder named administrator is going to cause a problem. When setup finds that folder in Documents and Settings, it will create a new folder called Administrator.computername. Your favorites will end up being in the wrong place. You can make a self extracting archive of the Admin folder, place it in $Doc, and the extract it during RunOnceEx.

I wondered about this as I tried it and ended up with a directory named "ed.eds_Computer". How do I copy over files and directories into my user folder in docs and settings? I want to copy over my favorites and some files into My Documents.

What is the $Docs folder for if you can't actually copy over files into the user's My Documents folder?

the real question is, did you disable/remove OOBE?

$Docs and $Progs aren't really part of the OEM PreInstall, but I believe more of a part of OOBE.

Oh!

So such a thing explains my problems......

Here, I refer to OOBE - the first-run experience (which asks to turn on automatic updates, Asks user names, network, activate, register).

I had altogether removed OOBE (using nLite). After that, I found that nothing in my $Docs folder was copying over to the HD anymore. This was happening on SP2 RC2. Due to this unexpected 'feature', I then re-slipstreamed and re-built my CD, but I still am not able to get the $Docs folder working.

I suspect $Docs functionality has been removed in build2149 to make it process-compatible with win2k. Could Alanoll or someone test out this for me, and tell me if this is true or not?

{Just place a "deleteme.txt" file in your CD's "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop\" directory, and see if it copies over as it should - if it does not, my suspicion is true}.