New Utility coming up... if you guys desire it

1) How can we trust this list? and 2) How will the list be maintained?

After all, couldn't you change the list to surreptitiously install a, say, key-logging program?

1) Well, yes, I could. I won't, but I could. If that was my intention, I could just build that into the BeUpdate executable, now couldn't I? Just to mention it, so could GreenMachine with his XPCreate and nuhi could basically have a key-logger included in his nLite.exe file. But they don't. And why would I? If you see the configuration file, you could choose not to trust me, and keep a list of your own. I'll be using a method similar to the one GreenMachine uses. You don't have to trust me, but I can promise you that I won't do something like that.

2) I'll try to keep it updated myself, (like GM) but if it becomes too much of a hassle, I'll maybe let someone else help me as well. In any case, this program will have a file list more updated than the one your CD has. Of course I can't sit all day updating it, but I'll update it at least twice a week when I'm ready.

So you won't do anything bad because you say you won't do anything bad? Sounds trustworthy to me. *cough* As for those other programs, I don't use them either. However, in your original post there was no intimation that this list would be maintained by anyone except you or that it would even be possible to maintain separate lists. If the location of the list is in fact configurable then that mitigates most of my concerns.

As for it being more updated than my CD, that's just not true. I have a setup functionally equivalent, though perhaps less broad in scope, to what you're proposing. :)

Would it not be better if your app look for what 3rd party software was on the CD or DVD and download the updates for each software from the software sites.

Example You have SoftwareV1 and during install your program would connect to www.SoftwareV1.com to check for updates and if there was a SoftwareV1a it would start the dl and do the update process.

Keep this up it sounds like a good idea.

I think it's a great idea!

But in fact I'm wondering how you wanted to keep this list updated? All by hand? Then it'd be almost equal to a fulltime job...

Also: are you mirroring all these files? Cause downloading all of them from their respective sites, would take hours I think (in case you don't have an extremely fast internet connection and/or you've added 20+ programs to this list).

Perhaps also an option to download this from a network server? But then we'd need another system to do this. (this could be great when you've got to install for example more computers a day, cause downloading all these updates twice or more...)

@gunsmokingman:

Would it not be better if your app look for what 3rd party software was on the CD or DVD and download the updates for each software from the software sites.

Example You have SoftwareV1 and during install your program would connect to www.SoftwareV1.com to check for updates and if there was a SoftwareV1a it would start the dl and do the update process.

That is sort of what I am doing. Although my method to check for an update is a little different. Your method would be somewhat impossible to do. By your method, how would I know that a program has updated? I would have to program a highly intelligent web-page parser that would look for keywords and the like, as well as locating the download link. It'd be hard.

@Bâshrat the Sneaky:

But in fact I'm wondering how you wanted to keep this list updated? All by hand? Then it'd be almost equal to a fulltime job...

I cannot promise that I will keep it completely fresh. That would truly have me looking around all day. I will try to update it at least twice a week, as well as have a mail address where I sign up to any newsletters by these software companies and authors, and put in these updates as soon as I see them. In any case, unless you update your CD every day (and thus you won't need this prog... :)) my list will be more updated than your CD.

Also: are you mirroring all these files? Cause downloading all of them from their respective sites, would take hours I think
How, mirroring? I do not have the web space nor the money for bandwith to do such a thing. It will download from the actual sites of the programs. I do have some future plans for the program though, (things I won't implement in the initial version, but which I would like to implement later) which would boost the download speed to the max. First of all, like my config file explains, the program will do its best to reach a certain dl speed by downloading more than one file at once. (This will be implemented initially) I also plan to act like the download accelerators, and make it possible to use mirrors and more than one connection at once to get files (will configure itself automatically of course). I plan to make use of filemirrors.com, for instance.
(in case you don't have an extremely fast internet connection and/or you've added 20+ programs to this list)

Yes, this program will have little use for those with slow connections, unfortunately. Not because I want to, but because of the nature of the program.

Perhaps also an option to download this from a network server? But then we'd need another system to do this. (this could be great when you've got to install for example more computers a day, cause downloading all these updates twice or more...)

It is a very good idea, and I could implement it later (likely). Like, you run BeUpdated in Network mode (:rolleyes:) which downloads the files to a folder you decide along with a file list. (which tells the BeUpdated client that it is a network install, and tells it to just install files directly off there, instead of downloading them through the web.) Then, the BeUpdated clients will just run the programs off the network share (or eventually download them from the network share and then install them)

It's clear that you've been thinking about this! Personally I really think it has potential!

You said it!

@DarkPhoenix-

do you now get the warm,fuzzy feeling that atleast some people are interested in this app, and it will help them ? :)