How to add recovery console ?

After Phyridean's Help i finaly got my fully unattended WINXP gr cd to work..

But now i have another question.. is it possible to add to winxp cd the option of recovery console to the setup ?

you know .. the setup will ask if you want to start recovery console press R to constinue..

is it possible ? if it is the how should i make it ?

Thanks in andvance :)

hi, goto search @ the top, make sure u choose "Any Date" for the time period 2 search in, as your search try using "Recovery" or maybe "Recovery Console"

i think someone said its something 2 do with winnt.sif file

regards

I think what he means is that when you make an unattended installation of WinXP, no matter what value you use for unattended type, you lose the option to repair by any method with your newly created disk, including the ever-helpful recovery console.

The recovery console cannot be installed at the same time as the os, when booting from a CD. After your installation, then you can guirunonce to add the console.

winnt32.exe /cmdcons /emsport:off /unattend30:i386\unattend.txt

The recovery console only installs the floppy files part from your xp cd. However, if you are using floppies to boot, then there is a way to pre-install the rec cons. Doing this however, means lots of 8.3 renaming and many other support issues.

As we burn new cd's with updates, it's important to reinstall the recovery console. If your xp cd is out of date, then using the recovery console could cause you more problems.

Also, there is security issue when you install the recovery console to see it, look at your winnt.sif that's created.

Of course, if you install to FAT32, then a win9x boot disk and trend micro recovery floppies work most wonders.

A good idea after you install the recovery console is to do the following.

1 Using your svcpack folder, copy the contents, except the kb(q)*.exe's to the cmdcons folder.

2 For each file that is replaced, determine its location on your running system.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

3A Save all this info in a text file.

3B modify your text file (rcvr.txt) to read

copy explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.exe
copy fileno2.zyx filepath\fileno2.zyx

etc, foreach %1

Now, when you need to use your recovery console, life will be easy.

batch rcvr.txt

Now you can reboot.

4 if you're really nuts, you can dir /a /b >somefile.txt, to re create certain dir's and files that may be corrupted.

Since viruses typically infect iexplorer and ndis, it's a good idea to have these in your cmdcons folder as well. Don't go too nuts about copying files into the cmdcons folder as you don't have access to all folders on your drive.