Wireless Network Question

I have 2 PCs connected via a wireless network, the spec of PCs is irrelevant as both are running XP Pro and the network is working okay, ie I can use the laptop to see my shared directories and vice versa and it can also access the internet.

The network is based on two Linksys WUSB11 access points, sharing the internet connection on the desktop.

Today I decided that I wanted to copy My Documents folder to DVD-R as backup, it "lives" on my C drive and a copy exists on the D drive, but for extra security of my data I decided I needed an offline copy, the folder is about 2.5Gb in size, however my desktop does not have a DVD burner but my Laptop does..... now been a tight sod I am not buying one for the desktop so I decided to copy this folder over my 802.11b network. Again working fine (although it is taking it's time!!!! :) )

However I was looking at the network utilization on the task manager and it shows that it is 50% utilized on each machine...... is this right? what is the network utilization? and if possible how do I increase it?

personally, I'm amazed at how many of my neighbors don't secure their networks. My new laptop has a wireless card, and I can connect to all my neighbors networks, and use their internet connection

It's kinda sad

personally, I'm amazed at how many of my neighbors don't secure their networks. My new laptop has a wireless card, and I can connect to all my neighbors networks, and use their internet connection

It's kinda sad

You'd be even more surprised if you drove around! :rolleyes: 66% of all the Wireless Access Points are not secured properly. I know this for a fact, because I drove through the neighbourhood with my laptop and NetStumbler, and about 40 out of the 60 were not secured... :) Not that I connected to any of them, was driving too fast... :D

Wish I had neighbors who shared their internet access :) I don't think I'd be sad...lol

BTW, is full duplex an option for wireless? I don't bother with those settings with my wireless card, (only wired, which is what I use for transferring files and gaming...where the speed really counts) but half duplex would explain 50% right?

'Course, I may be completely off anyway...wireless being so different from wired.

You'd be even more surprised if you drove around!  66% of all the Wireless Access Points are not secured properly. I know this for a fact, because I drove through the neighbourhood with my laptop and NetStumbler, and about 40 out of the 60 were not secured...  Not that I connected to any of them, was driving too fast... 

My boss said he wanted to set up one of those pringles can antennas from his house to leech internet access from the surrounding citizens... :) just shows you how few are actually secured...

Hello :)

In Belgium a lot of companies don't want to implement wireless networks.

(the company I work for does not want any wireless activity not even blue tooth)

Because of security risks.

I made a test myself with a colleague of mine. We went discovering networks with

our PDA. There was a well known law firm that just wasn't protected!!

Can you imagine that?? :rolleyes: Everyone could connect and just access company secrets.

My wireless connection at home is secured. And if I don't need it I just switch it off

In the uk, security is high up in the list!

Most wireless networks are behind a firewall and locked down...

However, most home users have no idea how to configue security !

:)

I agree with Madgutts.... where I used to work we could not have wireless networks due to security, although we did have RF in the warehouse for data entry.... but nothing that was sensitive.

When I first got my laptop, I decided to go on a "War Drive" with Netstumbler and my Orinoco card and aerial, I only drove 1 mile, discovered 39 networks, with 28 of them that I could access and use their internet connection!

It is time people woke up and protected their connections.