IIS question

Hello All,

I am using winxp sp1, and i installed IIS Services on my xp os, i have norton personall firewall installed as well, i can't browse my WEB site untill i disable the norton personal firewall and no one else can browse it from outside till i disable the firewall..

how can i run the website with firewall still protecting?

thanks and regards

Mutahir

Most software firewalls are bad at that. It seems to me like you've set the firewall to block your incoming connections to port 80. As I don't use Norton Personal Firewall myself, and since it has been months since I helped a friend of mine with a similar problem, I can't really help you too much, but what I did was that I went into the rules of the firewall and removed the rule(s) that were wrong. That's what I suggest you go on do too. If that doesn't work, remove all rules, and just set them all over again. When you get the request for an incoming connection on port 80, accept it.

HTH :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ummm... IIS open on port 80, visible to the world, without tuning, is a disaster waiting to happen...

Check out microsofts site for urlscanner and install that, as a minimum. Even better, run their lockdown tool as this turns off most of the default crap that's on.

Also, remove ALL of the default files/folders/mappings.

The NSA site has a very good guide on securing IIS.

Cheers,

PHB.

• 2 weeks later...