Registry Tweaks, Part-1

GreenMachine, thanks for the explaintion of how to create a default settings that can be automatically applied to any new user account that is created on that on machine. Now that I understand the concept, can you provide a mini step guide how to implement it in an unattended installation? That's where I'm confuse and now sure how to apply it. For example, how do you apply the tweaks before the GUI loads as you mention in your solution and so forth.

Also, is there a way to save the default settings so you can use in another computer system?

-Kenneth

Here is the skeleton of my installation, including all .reg files, and a copy of webmedic hotfix script. All you need to add is a slipstreamed SP1 XP distribution, and the MS updates and hotfixes. Read the ReadMe files. There are directory listings of the missing update files.

As for writing a guide ... why don't you try it and write the guide for others!

Let me know if it works out for you.

Sorry, but I don't really understand the question. Can you say it in half as many words? The defaults tweaks are reg entries that pertain to the HOT_KEY_CURRENT_USER reg key. The trick to installing them before the GuiRunOnce is to call them via the cmdlines.txt file in $OEM$, or in a batch file called from there. This file is called near the end of setup, and before the GUI boot.

All the per user settings I do are in the file HKCU.reg, included in the above mentioned zip file. These can be imported to any machine via the standard regedit program, by double clicking on them. Certain features, however, will not have an effect on existing user profiles, as this machine is already set up. This includes status bar on, details view, and some others. You can only get them into the default user by copying the whole default user's Current_User registry hive (C:\Docments and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT) to the target machine. If you go that route, you are better off creating a new user on the target machine, make any settings to other software that is installed as well, and then from another administrators account copy the profile to the default user directory (My Computer - Properties - Advanced - User Profiles / Settings - Copy To). You can also customize the start menu, taskbar, desktop, etc.

Ahhh... Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to do some hacking and testing with your scripts. For me, my priority is to create three basic unattended templates that I will be posting here. One is the basic template where you can automatic the windows installation without the tweaks or windows component updates. The 2nd template is to include the tweaks only. The third template is to include both tweaks and windows component updates.

-Kenneth

;Stop MSN Messenger from Running on Windows Startup
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]
"AppSettings"= hex:22,04,00,00

;Remove QuickTime Icon from Taskbar
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX]
"QTTaskRunFlags"=dword:00000002

;Remove Outlook Icon from Desktop
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

;Remove Norton Antivirus from IE Toolbar List
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
"{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}"=-

;Enable ClearType for ALL Users
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingType"="2"

;Set System Restore Space Allotment
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"DiskPercent"=dword:00000005

;Disable Windows Update
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000001
"AUState"=dword:00000007

;Change Default Search Options (1 = ON, 0 = OFF)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000001
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000

;Force Classic Control Panel
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001

;Accept Acrobat EULA
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer]
"EULA"=dword:00000001

;Disable Norton Unerase Protection
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NProtectService]
"Start"=dword:00000004

;Show 'My Computer', 'My Documents', etc. on Desktop
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"=dword:00000000
"{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

EDIT: I removed all unnecessary code. Yes, you CAN use the '/n' switch so that uninstall information is not copied to the computer, but it only works on hotfixes that do NOT use the /Q:A /R:N switches. This method is good if you want to still be able to uninstall hotfixes but you do not want the items appearing in 'Add/Remove Programs'.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ieupdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB282010]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB820291]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB821253]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB821557]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB823559]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB823980]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB824105]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB824146]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\oeupdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q322011]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q327979]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q328310]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329048]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329115]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329170]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329390]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329441]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q329834]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q331953]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q810272]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q810565]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q810577]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q810833]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q811493]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q814033]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q814995]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q815021]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q817287]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q817606]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q819696]

some hotfixes support switch /n

/n: Do not back up files for removal.

If U want to remove the hotfix uninstall entries, use the switch is better

Just leave

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KBxxxxxxx]

it remove all the items below

If you have folders or files whose name contains digits, the sort order is different in Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP. In Windows 2000, the following file and folder names are sorted as shown:

Ie4_01

Ie4_128

Ie401sp2

Ie5

Ie501sp2

Ie6

In Windows XP, the same files and folders are sorted as:

Ie4_01

Ie4_128

Ie5

Ie6

Ie401sp2

Ie501sp2

This entry enables Windows 2000 file sorting methods in XP.

;Enable Windows 2000 File Sorting Method
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStrCmpLogical"=dword:00000001