Is There An Open-Source CD Bootloader

This is a curiousity question. In looking at the different multi-boot CD projects around here and elsewhere, I was wondering if there is an open-source CD bootstrap, which would (theoretically) obviate some of the requirements to patch OS files. Anyway that's the theory and I mite be way off base.

TIA....Jet

patch OS files?

www.cdshell.org is an open source boot loader.

www.nu2.nu you may find useful.

Thanx for the tip about BartPE, but I've already that to my arsenal.

GOSH has a site here on MSFN, describing his technique for making all-in-one CDs/DVDs and he does indeed patch a couple of files. But thanx for the link and for your hacking and documenting the unattended install process....Jet

jetman, well first, youre not lookin for a bootlader persay...your looking for something to patch files so that they may be included in a multiboot environment...I believe youre talking about the patching of bootsect.dat and various other files...that is solely just for the purpose of being able to include another OS on the cd...

in the end, you will still have to use something like cdshell, bootscriptor, diskemu, xosl, or big_gies suggestion...

the "patches" that gosh does implement will not do anything for you unless you have a bootloader like one of the ones I mentioned (in fact, gosh makes reference to diskemu on his page)...and if you check goshs page - DEVIL270975 has created batch files to patch the files your talkin about.

jetman, well first, youre not lookin for a bootlader persay...your looking for something to patch files so that they may be included in a multiboot environment...I believe youre talking about the patching of bootsect.dat and various other files...that is solely just for the purpose of being able to include another OS on the cd...

in the end, you will still have to use something like cdshell, bootscriptor, diskemu, xosl, or big_gies suggestion...

the "patches" that gosh does implement will not do anything for you unless you have a bootloader like one of the ones I mentioned (in fact, gosh makes reference to diskemu on his page)...and if you check goshs page - DEVIL270975 has created batch files to patch the files your talkin about.

Evilvoice: Appreciate the heads up, but I still don't understand enuf of the actual process to know what I need. My orig req was just to find out how the 1st link in the chain works. Only after looking at some code, will I have some meaningful questions/contributions/suggestions. Later....Jet