Win2000 not shutting completely down

Was wondering if someone here has the answer to this.I just did a fresh win2000 install on a friends computer.The problem is that now when you click on shutdown it will start shutting down then a screen appears and tells me it is ok now to turn off the computer.

With win98 installed it would shut itself completely off and not have to manually push the power button like you do now when it tells me to.I have tried to search the internet for this problem and could not find anything.

:) There are three things you should check. In Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Tab make sure that Advanced Power Management is enabled. Now this tab won't exist if the system was loaded ACPI and not Standard PC. If not there don't worry. Second, in the Registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon change the value PowerdownAfterShutdown to 1. And third, in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion create a new key called "Shutdown" and then under this new key create a REG_DWORD called "ShutdownSetting" and give a data value of 3.

There is also a known problem with some motherboards, when you upgrade the memory above 128Mb, the ACPI fails...

Whether this is your problem i dont know. But the fix for me was to press F7 when i installed w2k....