copying 'all users' desktop icon to all other

Apologies if this is too easy, but I'm a new comer to Windows.

I've got a desktop icon in "All Users" and I want to copy it to all the other desktop folders. Is there a command that would do it? I need to do this on several systems all with different user desktops on.

Cheers

What are you trying to do?

If you put the shortcut into the All Users\Desktop folder it will automatically appear on each profiles desktop, you dont have to copy it to all of them.

Sorry, I should have given more details:

We have many distributed 'thin PCs' and they have been strapped down in various ways limiting the user in what they can access/change, e.g. access to local drive has been disabled, right click on desktop icon unavailable etc. etc.

I have used Tivoli SWD to put a link in the All Users desktop, but due to the security it doesn't appear on all desktops.

I was hoping that I could run a command to copy the file from All Users desktop to all other desktop directories on each PC. Each PC has several different users who are NOT common.

Or is there a registry setting I can configure which will do the trick???

Hiya

You could try using profiles. create a kind of default profile located on a network share dump all you want into it and point the users account details to get the profile from your new profile located on the network share.

Just thinking about it now it could be that youre system policy hides your icons on the desktop.which could be why some are visible and some not. the pc's that have the icon located on the desktop are the policy settings enforced correctly ?

if not that's prob the cause. Are u using Active Directory to enforce your Policy settings ? If so point the problem PC to a DNS server belonging to your AD Domain.

Minus Human

• 3 weeks later...

xcopy "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Icon.lnk" "Destination" /Y

replace destinatation with the path to where u want it copied "%userprofile%\Desktop"

with these variables u dont have 2 specify a username, as it does it with variables, 2 find out more variables, goto start > run > type: set

EXAMPLE:

Place the following in a batch file (.bat/.cmd)

xcopy "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Nero.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Nero\Nero.lnk" /Y

hope this helps :)