firefox 0.9.1 unattended

killerbee

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the various threads with respect to silently installing Firefox, this is what I've done and it works in both Windows 2000 and XP. We know that replacing the Firefox setup.exe with the Mozilla version works. So, download both the Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox 0.9.1 installer packages. First, run the Firefox installer but stop on the first setup screen. Go to your Documents and Settings directory and then the directory of the currently logged on user. In the Local settings\Temp directory will be the temporary directory with the unpacked setup files. Copy that temporary directory to your unattended install $OEM$\$1 structure where your other applications are. Now you can cancel the setup.

Next, run the Mozilla installer. Stop at the first setup screen and go to the same location as above and look for the ns_tmp directory. Copy the setup.exe file from there to your copied Firefox install folder.

Then edit the config.ini and change the run mode to silent:

[General]
; Run Mode values:
;   Normal - Shows all dialogs.  Requires user input.
;   Auto   - Shows some dialogs, but none requiring user input.  It will
;            automatically install the product using default values.
;   Silent - Show no dialogs at all.  It will install product using default
;            values.
Run Mode=Silent

Finally, add the required silent install switches (I use RunOnceEx):

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "Firefox 0.9.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Firefox\setup.exe -ms -ira" /f

Total, sweet silent install! No messing around with scripts or repackaging the installer.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to do this but every time I run the installer, I get the error "Uncompressing xpcom.xpi failed". I've tried forcing the installer to download a new one, but of course I have no idea where to point it in the config.ini file. I am at my wits end!

Thank you,

Installed as you explained. VEry clear instructions thanks.

I did notice though that when fist run it did questoin about inporting bookmarks and making default browser.

Did you notice this? and if so haow did you get around it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried this with Firefox 0.9.3 and Mozilla 1.7.2... and it didn't work :( It gets stuck at the prompt for Install Folder.

This is what I did:

* Ran the Firefox 0.9.3 installer

* Copied temp folder to my install directory

* Ran Mozilla 1.7.2 installer

* Copied setup.exe to firefox install directory

* (for testing) Ran firefox setup.exe with -ms -ira switches

* Get stuck at Install Folder prompt

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

-G

I have tried the mozilla/firefox way and It installs just fine. However extensions WILL NOT install.

Everybody that is saying that this works perfectly, have you tried installing extension? I'd like to know if its just my install or if useing the mozilla setup.exe doesnt allow extensions.

Any ideas?

This thread is where I'm posting my progress:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=20271&st=50

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
HI there!
When I try to install firefox through a network share, while calling the setup.exe directly ( e.g \\server\share$\install\firefox\setup.exe I get the error
"Error uncompressing file \\server\share$\install\firefox\xpcom.xpi: 1", while when I first connect the share as drive z: and then run z:\install\firefox\setup.exe everything works fine.

Anyone an idea, what the problem could be?