install.cmd vs. RunOnceEx methods...

benjammin

I think that the cmd file has an advantage when you do not want to copy the installation files to the HDD. I've created a WinXP DVD with tons of installations, so instead of copying 3GB to the hard drive twice (once the installation files, and once installing the apps themselves) they are just being installed once.

hey ; u can do it via RunOnceEx

u can set up all apps from cd directly without copying to the hard drive

give it a search @ msfn unattended site

ive never had any problems, (other then typing errors) its a bit harder tho

mazin has talked about some issues regarding sfx files with RunOnceEx in his subject of installing norton 2k4 unattended. but honestly; I didn't try this

I forgot to say I love that RunOnceEx method regardles that pain it causes ;relatively.

but I adore xplode ; thanks to wraith ; I can se aa great GUI ; but need a little bit more work for management than a simple cmd batch , I am afraid

but the gain is really worth it :)

medhunter

I didn't mean to make someone dislike something, of course. But, as known by everybody, CMD is the easiest and the most straightforward. Plus, EXPLODE still has the problem of SFX as said by many users. I didn't use it.

However, I'm on my way to make some improvements for the DOS boxes of the batch method, so that they become more beautiful. I'll post them when I finish.

Everybody should like his method.

Thanks. :)

• 1 month later...

The beauty of runonceex, methinks, is that if you can't get it to work, just call the darn cmd file from the runeonceex. If you use the util for hiding cmd windows noone will know anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

guys...

RunOnceEx is the "stylish" method... there are no advantages in any of the methods that aren't complemented with disadvantages... (caught it? :blink: )

I personally tried the RunOnceEx, and i like the way it looks... and I'm using it with my winxp unattended install (cmdlines.txt) to install some basic apps (firefox, thunderbird, j2re, some regtweaks, etc...), but i'm still using the CMD method for the rest of my apps unattended install! I have them on a separate DVD-RW and i install with CMD for ONE MAJOR REASON: i can CANCEL the freaking thing at any time doing a CTRL+C!!!!! :realmad: (i'm calm...)

EDIT: of course i don't use cmdow for the batch... and yes... i did build a decent looking batch file!! (always did since the days of DOS Customizing with batch files;)

Canceling with RunOnceEx is a "pain" and i don't like NOT being able to cancel ANYTHING at ANYTIME on MY computer! :whistle:

so here are my 0.02 :)

Cheers,

~EinZteiN

I did the cmd method to start as it showed me which files were and paths were wrong.

Then once i knew it was correct and worked, transferred all into runonceex nad now it looks nice and does job. IF i need to apply an update, i use VMWare to test and then add to runonce adn so far so good.

Now i'm after to transferring to use from RIS, which is doing my head in, but i'll get there in end.