Forcing a Monitor install?

Fonceur

And how could you do this in a universal way? Instead of specifying a monitor I mean...

If you are sure to include all the right monitor drivers that you might need, I guess you could use the method mentionned by bonedaddy and maybe remove even more default/plug and play monitor detection... This way it would have to fall back on your new drivers instead. It would probably be tricky to find out what to remove though...

Could it perhaps be possible to entirely REMOVE monitor.inf?

Could it perhaps be possible to entirely REMOVE monitor.inf?

Hmm, I guess that might work... Your best bet is probably to ask the people that made reducing tools like nLite and the other batch files about it. Who knows, they might be interested to adding that too if they see some interest... :)

• 3 months later...
Just wondering has anything changed regarding installing a monitor driver unattended?
Please see the devcon command described above.

As for my own adventure:

I did see that when I used the drivers on the floppy-disk that came with my Samsung monitor, it did install that one unattended. But what use is this:

SyncMaster 703(M)s/ 753(M)s/750(M)s/753(M)v, MagicSyncMaster CM173A(M)

Ha ha.... That's what the INF contained, and that's what the monitor name in display properties showed up as. :lol:

So I changed the monitor name in the INF to have the name of my monitor alone, and not the entire product segment. But, as is obvious, that broke driver signature, and the .CAT of the driver could not validate it anymore. Installing it manually works now, with a dialog about non-WHQL driver, but unattended has been no go.

Other than that, I have a few things that I'm yet to try out myself. So the below is untested ideas:

Maybe deleting monitor.inf and replacing it with your own monitor's INF file - and if it contains associated DLLs/ICMs you need to have it copied over to the system as well (txtsetup.sif).

Or... disabling driver signing.

Or... Make your own INF and your own .CAT (this one is highly improbable, I think).

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering has anything changed regarding installing a monitor driver unattended?
Please see the devcon command described above.

As for my own adventure:

I did see that when I used the drivers on the floppy-disk that came with my Samsung monitor, it did install that one unattended. But what use is this:

SyncMaster 703(M)s/ 753(M)s/750(M)s/753(M)v, MagicSyncMaster CM173A(M)

Ha ha.... That's what the INF contained, and that's what the monitor name in display properties showed up as. :lol:

So I changed the monitor name in the INF to have the name of my monitor alone, and not the entire product segment. But, as is obvious, that broke driver signature, and the .CAT of the driver could not validate it anymore. Installing it manually works now, with a dialog about non-WHQL driver, but unattended has been no go.

Other than that, I have a few things that I'm yet to try out myself. So the below is untested ideas:

Maybe deleting monitor.inf and replacing it with your own monitor's INF file - and if it contains associated DLLs/ICMs you need to have it copied over to the system as well (txtsetup.sif).

Or... disabling driver signing.

Or... Make your own INF and your own .CAT (this one is highly improbable, I think).

Have you tried it yet?

• 3 weeks later...
I use the following to update my monitor:

"devcon update "D:\drivers\sony\sonylcd.inf" "Monitor\SNY0280"

Thanks Tyke, that method did the trick! I got the devcon file from MS site and the .inf monitor file had the internal model name of the monitor. So I ended adding this to my cleanup.cmd (the start /wait is probably overkill for that but...):

start /wait %CDROM%\Apps\devcon update "%CDROM%\Apps\Hitachi_50v500.inf" "Monitor\HTCD7A6"

I tried the bonedaddy/Cydine method but it did not work in my case.

Can you be a bit more specific in how to apply devcon to this process? Thanks

devcon update <your_path_to_files>\915FT_PL.inf "Monitor\GSM4A4D"

devcon.exe should be in your path, ie %windir% or %windir%\system32

unpack your zip archive in specified folder and use the correct path in the command.

or use Install Program for Windows 2000 Drivers

Install.exe <your_path_to_files>\915FT_PL.inf Monitor\GSM4A4D

Windows 2000 DDK Download

• 8 months later...
Wondering if anyone can help,
Have followed this through and at moment am doing this as a test on the PC that i am sat at.
I am using the code below
[code]cmd /k e:\xpsp2\i386\devcon update e:\xpsp2_apps\apps\monitor\mitsubis.inf "Monitor\MEL6140"[/code]
I'm using the cmd /k, so that when it processes the results stay on-screen.
I believe all is correct and i keep getting the response [code]devcon failed[/code] as i'm basing this one instructions laid out above.

Now, my monitor is currently at Pug and Play and driver signing is set to ignore.
Any ideas as to tell what is the issue?

[edit]
removed;
devcon does work on 2k looking at ms site.
any thoughts?
[/edit Edited by oioldman