XPCreate made an iso too big

Alex T.

I downloaded the latest version of xpcreate and it downloads the latest patches and all the other updates. After it finished compiling it created an ISO that was 801MB. I can't burn that to CD.

OK I'm starting with a Windows XP SP1 cd that is 525 megs.

I think the only thing I deleted from my original XP cd was the 'VALUEADD' folder. What's that, about 25 mb?

I am running XPCreate on it right now, to see how much the updates add to the total filesize. My guess is it'll add around 100mb.

But even if an original Windows XP cd is 600mb, everything should still fit after XPCreate does its thing. I seriously doubt an original XP CD is 700mb (+100mb of updates/patches to total 800mb).

I'll let you know how big the CD is after it finishes building and creating the ISO.

My guess is you are starting with a non-standard Windows XP cd that is larger than it should be. I hope I am right.

-V

Hotfixes + DX9 is about 100 megs.

XPC does download DX9 WMP9 MM and Messenger on it's own.....

as well as SP1. But it only addes SP1 to the ISO if it's needed, in your case it wasn't.

How large is your I386 folder created by XPC? It's inside CDROOT.

But even a XP+SP1 disc isn't that much larger then the original and should have no effect on the output size....

in the end, it's all points to user error.

You could prove me wrong and take some screen shots of your directories, and please include sizes.

There should be no need for deleting directories or other methods to reduce the size of the source CD.

Obviously, I side with Alanoll: User Error.

Attach the LOGFILES.CAB file to your next post. I suspect the answer is inside ...

Alex,

There is something else going on here. I started with an original (pre SP1) Windows XP Pro CD. My I368 folder is 470MB.

I added nothing and just ran the XPCreate script. After downloading SP1 and all the patches my final ISO is only 628MB.

What are you starting with?