to passWord or not to passWord?

Dustinwmew

should one use a password for your user name(s)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. should one use a password for your user name(s)?

• Password? what's a password?
    • no password, habit.
    • no password, I don't care that people by my PC use my user.
    • no password, no one can get to my computer.
    • I have me PC make everone use a Passwords!
    • yes password, don't like people useing my user.
    • yes password, no one around, but safety 1st.
    • yes password, habit.

I was reading up on microsoft.com and read that users who do not use passwords can only log on local, if that is true then it would be better to not use a password if you are not afread of people in your home/office being on your user.

So what do yeh people say?

Its true... I setup my Dell with Remote Desktop, and my Mom didn't have a password set up... So I tried logging in with her username without a password using Remote Desktop and it kept giving me an error...

The downside to this is that if you do what I did above, it screws up whatever account you tried connecting to... :)

I personally use a password!

1st I don't want anyone touching my computer (I always lock it when I'm not around) also I've a cat and he likes to sit on my laptop and press buttons :)

2nd when my friends come and look at my comp they look into this folder that folder grr it's annoying. I think its just a habit when someone seens other's computer they immeadietly start looking into it. (I'll try this after a clean format :rolleyes:)

and yes remote control, I think its setup the right way.

also if someone's using the same user as I do they're going to want to apply their settings and that just annoys me!

Stay away from my comp!

Back in the days of 98, everyone used my machine... Now that I can lock and log off my machine, I can give unknown users a guest account that can't install anything and can only browse the web. I love it and won't go back.

I've set up a pdc in my house, all my family logs in to it, and all require passwords.

Each kid has his own pc, and each user id is restricted to their particular pc, and during normal waking hours, so not only do they have to use a password, it only works on their machine, and only during the daytime. (I've been awakened at night to find my kids asleep on their keyboards, so we put a stop to that the hard way.) :)

...We have a EVIL parent in the house, Joe User 99.

Ever one wave at the evil one :). P

I remaber the late nights at the keyboard...that is about ever day from now to when I had my old Apple 2gs I think it was called. the only computer in the home was in my room, but the Apple did not start me staying up late. I stayed up all night becuse I never feat tired, they would keep me up all day, then put me to bed and I would lay there thinking, look at clock, think, look at clock, over and over till my dad's mom came in to tell me to get really for school. I tryed many beds some soft some hard, but the only time I could sleep was while looking at TV, or laying on the cocah with my head betren the cuschings (I always had a head acke, I later fond out that little new air was coming in there, so I was passing out), or the times in pre-K for the napes, and last after about 4-5 days of being awake, but it was till I was out of 10th grade before I could sleep relible in a bed, so I was asleep in class a lot, but I still got A's and B's mostly even in houners class's, and I still fell a sleep in class after having more thing 7 hours of sleep or less then 2.

....while that was way off topic....

password as a habit is ahead!

I don't know, after pubery I been able to go to sleep ez'r. I was told by my dad that when I was a baby he would wake up ever day and I would some how got out of my creb and be asleep looking at the TV, or on the keybaord.

After I got out of pre-k and could not take naps in school, the 4-5 days driped to 2, but not to long after I started sleeping on the couch ever night till 11th grade so I got sleep most nights.

now more people password to keep people off there user, and as a habit.

Yeah, it's a pretty cool setup. I decided to go all out after my oldest stepson brought in a virus.

My wife gave me a linen closet in the hallway to use as a server closet. :rolleyes:

So I knocked out a couple of the shelves and put 2 servers together.

I left the top shelf in place and added my 24port 10/100 switch and my router.

And WAY up at the top, I mounted a patch panel and then drilled a hole into the attic. Then I ran all the cable through to the various rooms.

Currently, I've got the 2 servers set up.

1 as a PDC, with 120gb HD holding movies and a 80 gb HD holding mp3s . And the 2nd one I just set up, that I am in the process of configuring with SUS, and as a AntiVirus repository. I also am using AD and group policy to distribute software.

(I spend most of my work time building installs for our corporate network. So I apply my knowledge at home and convert everything to a MSI then push what I want to the kids.) (NAV, WinRAR, Office, Adobe, etc)

The setup is great for parties. When we have a party, I use the 2nd server as a dedicated game server. I've already got it set up to host Battlefield 1942, Desert Combat, and Quake III/Team Arena games.

Each kid has his own system. (I've got 5 boys).

Plus my wife's system, plus 2 spares for when the grandkids come over. (8 desktops total).

Plus my laptop. Plus 2 Print servers, plus 2 Xbox's.

I am considering a media center PC for the living room. But I'm not sure yet.

I also want to add a wireless access point, but we'll see how the money holds up. :D

Just one of the benefits of being a network admin/install builder I guess :)

****... that's quite an empire... i wish I had u as a daddy!!! lolol Nah,, That's quite nice of a setup there. I wish I had that much knowledge to set up a network like that. But I only have one user in the house.. Maybe when I have kids I will do just that, but I will also need a few thousand dollars to buy the equipment... Ur my idol right now!! lol

Not to keep being off topic but.....

Thanks, but it didn't get there overnight. I put the network in about 4 years ago.

Then I received a small inheritance, which allowed me to get the servers, and upgrade the kids desktops, then I added on over time. It's not a "dream" setup though, the desktops are old (733's) and need to be upgraded. It just takes time.

Everyone starts in the same place. (1 user, 1 pc.) Give it time.

And plan it out ahead of time. I didn't even have the tools when I started. When my family asked what I wanted for holidays like Christmas, Fathers Day, etc. I gave them a list of the tools, etc.) :rolleyes:

And learn as you go. Invest in a 1000 ft spool of Cat5e and practice your crimping and punch downs.

I also had the benifit of being able to borrow line test equipment from work to make sure my drops all worked correctly. :)

I also did some work for a contractor on the side, who did alot of network wiring upgrades, so I got the old switches and patch panels that were being discarded and used those temporarily until I could afford the new ones.

Which brings me back to the topic. While I did that contract work, I noticed....

Everywhere we went had very lax security. Easily guessed passwords, if any at all, etc. Which is one of the reasons I put my network in place. Security is key!

Password, and set up complexity requirements and everything. You might not have a real need for it now, but alot of people have tax info, personal data, not so socially acceptable data on their systems, that they don't want comming out. You never know when you may need that password!

**** that looks like what my future's gonna be if I can find a wife :D

we do lan parties but my friends are getting lazier everyday and getting stubborn everyday "I won't play this, i won't play that " aa

get a projection tv :rolleyes: play games on it!!!

I really want to congratulate u if u can manage all 5 kids + wife + hobbies + work + who knows!

american idol :D:)