Menu Grouping

I want to install applications in specific menu groups and folders, for example:

Start
+ Multimedia
   + Winamp
   + etc..
+ System Tools
   + PerfectDisk
   + Diskeeper
   + etc..
+ Developer
   + Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit
   + MASM32 Editor
   + etc..
etc..

How do I specify to the installers where I want the software shortcuts and the apps to get installed? Since, we are using silent installs, I guess it should be something at the command line too.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.

Evil. =)

I don't know how others do it but I use a *.cmd file that is the last one run from my RunOnce similar to the following;

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

REM - - - Move Wordpad Shortcut - - -

copy /y "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\WordPad.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Office\Utilities\WordPad.lnk"
del /f "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\WordPad.lnk"

EXIT

Of course, my file has lots more sections for other shortcuts but they are all done the same way.

The only exceptions are those shortcuts that are created ActiveSetup, they cannot be done this way as they don't exist at this stage (info from GreenMachine). For these I disable their access points via winnt.sif

[Components]
   OEAccess=Off
   IEAccess=Off

I then create new shortcuts using a small exe that I found. See this thread.

installshield or not this would be a pain in the ***.

although u can modify some of the installers and put paths to it not all the installers have an option like that

anyways best way to do this would be by using a batch file like spartacus posted

but use "move" instead this way its going to be just 1 command.

but this manual moving will cause u 1 problem, when u unistall the software the shortcuts will remain. also the registry keys will be messed up though they don't really matter...

For windows installer, it would depend on what you use to edit the MSI.

I would create a Transform file, and change the path of the shortcut in the Transform.

The easiest way, would be go into the shortcut table and change the path of the shortcut.

I use Wise Package Studio 5.1 and it's just a drop down box. It lists all the predefined folders in the MSI and you either select one, or create a new one.

Then, save the Transform. Or for those who don't want a transform, change the actual MSI and resave it.

hmm yes but the menu folders can easily be changed through editing the msi files and/or transforms

also I believe I've mentioned the "move" idea...

anyways I don't think there is any need for this..

I'm sure he's going to clarify himself if he hasn't got the answer yet...

Just a side note... <SparTacuS>, instead of two commands (COPY and DEL) you can use just one (MOVE), and this is what XtremeMaC says

also I believe I've mentioned the "move" idea...