Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

You can't start a batchfile directly. This may work in already installed Windows, but not after newly installed windows. Please use "cmd.exe /c pause.cmd %NUMPROC%".

I tested it and it works fine.

Benjamin

I tried what you said and same result.

command.0=cmd.exe /c pause.cmd %NUMPROC%

Echo's %NUMPROC%

where as

command.0=cmd.exe /c pause.cmd %WIHU%

Echo's C:\Wihu

NUMPROC is defined in[Environment] as

NUMPROC=HKLM:System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Sesion Manager\Environment\NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS

Any ideas?

It don't let me sleep not be able to a create user which name is identical to computer name. I researched a bit and find a solution for that ... is possibel again in future ... without error :)

I'll rewrite software component list code now. I don't use XML yet, but instead I'll allow sub command (3 levels instead of 2).

Ini file syntax will be:

[section]

description.0="command 1"

command.0=...

subdescription.0.0="sub command 1"

subcommand.0.0=...

subdescription.0.1="sub command 2"

subcommand.0.1=...

subdescription.0.2="sub command 3"

subcommand.0.2=...

description.1="command 1"

command.1=...

which will be showed as:

Section
 "command 1"
   "sub command 1"
   "sub command 2"
   "sub command 3"
 "command 2"

@Alanoll: I'll try to find the problem.

Benjamin

Looks good on the tree view...

As for my problem, which I'm starting to think is a bug somwhere....

If I try ANY variables set in ENVIRONMENT they are not expanded, but if they are not declared in ENVIRONMENT (Cookies, Desktop) they are expanded.

@Alanoll: NUMPROC=HKLM:System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Sesion Manager\Environment\NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS ... is misspelled ... should be "Session Manager" ... than it works. Btw. why don't you use exsiting environment variable NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS?

@Osmosis Jones:

As I said, may be in future I'll use XML.

Benjamin

hate to tell you this, but that was just a mistype when I posted to the board.....

I'll try to find a disc to transfer the stuff over to this computer (the other one doesn't ahve internet access where I am)

I'm attaching the INI file I'm trying to use....

all the pause.cmd file is is an ECHO %1 and a pause.

As for not using the already defined variable....

If WIHU enumerates the variable, even better, but i've found that for some reason at GUIRUNONCE that variable is not accessible via command line. Dunno...

I tried both HPID and MozillaFireFoxVersion as well, and neither seem to work...

When I tried HPID in say Key.0.1=%HPID%="Hitachi" that doesn't work either.

test.ini

It works here:

D:\Entwicklung\wihu\2.0\Release>pause
Please press any key . . .

You mean starting this in GuiRunOnce don't work? Btw. this environment variables are only valid while wihu is running.

Btw2: Which GuiRunOnce do you mean ... this in winnt.sif (unattended installation) or windows autoistart key RunOnce (RunOnceEx) ?

Please describe how you did start WIHU, and which switches are used.

Benjamin

At the moment, I just try this from my current install. I haven't even attempted to do it during install. I'm just running WIHU by double-clicking or commandline.

Strange how it works there but not here.....

Echo %1
Pause

That your pause.cmd?

I know they're only valid during WIHU. That's why i passed it to the command prompt. So it would be passed as pause.cmd 1 or pause.cmd 2, and the the pause.cmd takes it from there, not that it should be interpreted by the command prompt, as NUMPROC does not exist.

As for GUIRUNONCE, i just consider that the point of time during setup. I currently have a batch file that runs and extracts that key as the variable isn't set yet.

Alrighty, here's are the pertainable lines from test.ini and pause.cmd

PAUSE
ECHO %1
PAUSE

[Environment]
NUMPROC=HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS

[ASPI Layer 4.72]
description.0=Install ASPI
command.0=cmd /c pause.cmd %NUMPROC%
selected.0 = 1
hide.0=0

and this is what is outputed from PAUSE.CMD

C:\WIHU>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\WIHU>ECHO %NUMPROC%
%NUMPROC%

C:\WIHU>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

Any ideas?

Perhaps you have a newer version or something? I'm using the one from 7/19 bugfix 5.

Perhaps WIHU should expand the variable but it's not?

Hey Benjamin,

haven´t been writing much here lately. I was busy optimizing other parts of my Unattended DVD and also I didn´t want to keep suggesting new features so other users get a chance to do this :D

However, I thought I might give you some feedback on the shell folder feature in users.ini since you wrote that you coded this for me :rolleyes:

Well, unfortunately I have to tell you that I cannot make good use of this feature currently because this only works for predefined users in user.ini and not for the users created interactively in Wihu.

I know that if your Unattended Windows CD is to be run on one system with more users than the users.ini approach is a very good one.

I will use my CD differently though. If I use it on my PC only one user will be created ( after all I am single :D ) and if I use the CD on other computers the users will be different ones of course so for me it does not make sense to use predefined users currently.

So if you have time and want to do it, maybe you could consider adding the shell folder feature for all the users created interactively in Wihu.

Other than that I am still very grateful for what Wihu does currently ! :)

Thanks,

Alex