ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0

hi, im running ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0.590.015 and trying to get it installed silently including registration and possibly settings aswell.

RUNONCEEX CMD:

REG ADD %KEY%\150 /V 5 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Applications\ZoneAlarmPro\Settings.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\150 /V 6 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\ZoneAlarmPro\ZoneAlarmPro.exe /s /noreboot" /f

REG FILE:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\Registration]
"RegisteredOwner"="~L2Cmz&"
"RegisteredOrganization"="~L2C"
"EMailAddr"="~z&32Cw%2C"
"WantEmail"="~2"
"FullRegistration"="~2"
"SerialNum"="fk7nxe5<<REMOVED>>uj2v5c0"
"ProductModeAtInstall"="1"
"SurveyConnectType"="~Y22zm2+"
"SurveyPCtype"="~Y22zm2+"
"RegLanguage"="U.S. English"
"EntryTime"="1085698334"
"SurveyNetworkType"="~Y22zm2+"
"SurveyAV"="~Y22zm2+"

got it installed silently no probs, but it comes up with the registration/do you want a trial dialog. have any of you managed this?

i see theres an import/export settings feature, which saves the settings to an XML file. is there a way to import this silently?

any help would be much appreciated :)

@paul3vanz

i find the easiest way 2 install your program is, install it on a OS , change it how 2 want, then in the registy export the program key

then in your cmd file put

REGEDIT /S filepath\filename.reg

hope this helps :)

ill try it again, maybe with the install, then the reg file afterwards. but it doesn't seem to work. in fact on my main computer, if i delete all the registry entries for zonalarm, it still remembers the serial code. strange.

is anyone else installing the pro version silently and managed to get around it?

The registration information may not be in the Zonelabs key in the registry or even in the registry period. Some apps use different methods of storing registration information. I will download it and see if i can figure it out.

Far as i can tell zone alarm uses some other method of storing the registration information. Maybe in a .dll or something(even though the registry show the serial number and name). I had version 4.5 installed on my computer and completely removed it, registry and all. And when I installed 5.0 it used the key from 4.5 automatically registered it. Looking at the setup.log file i see that it updated a few files that was left in the system32 folder the began with "vs". I am assuming maybe one of these files holds the registration info, seeing that is the only files or registy entries left from version 4.5. Maybe somebody else can figure this out.

:)

yeah its definitely strange, i might have to settle by using that sendkeys way of inputting serials.

i ran inctrl5 (installation monitor) to see what changed, and all that changed was the registry, not even any files within the zonealarm folder. strange. ill try removing the vs files that you mentioned, see if that changes anything.

thanx for your input so far Strat.

zllictbl.dat it is!

i put mine in $OEM$\$$\System32 and it worked, just gotta tweak some of the settings though now.

strangely though, i shutdown zonealarm, deleted zllictbl.dat and reopened zonealarm, and it still remembered my license. peculiar how some of these vendors store there settings!

I was able to perform a silent, automated install with the following batch file:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Zone Alarm Professional 5.0.590.015
ECHO Please Wait...
start /wait zapSetup_50_590_015.exe /s /noreboot

ECHO.
ECHO Registering Zone Alarm Professional 5.0.590.015
ECHO Please Wait...
start /wait ZoneAlarmPro5.msi

ECHO.
ECHO Restarting the PC in 30 seconds...
shutdown.exe -r -f -t 30 -c "Windows XP will restart in 30 seconds"
EXIT

The 1st part is the install file direct from the Zone Labs website. I then ran WinInstall LE (this is found in the "ValueAdd" folder on a Win2000 CD) to create the BASE snapshot. Once the base snapshot completed, I rebooted and Zone Alarm asked for the registration info, went through the config, etc. I entered my serial and then re-ran the WinInstall discovery to create the POST-INSTALL snapshot. It created the MSI referenced in the 2nd part of the batch file. This MSI only contains the changes to the system from before I entered the serial to afterwards.

Basically, the 1st part installs Zone Alarm and the 2nd part registers it from the snapshot created with WinInstall LE. Once all was done, I ran system restore to bring XP back to it's original state and ran the batch file and Zone Alarm runs fine. After rebooting (from the last command of the batch file) it only asked me to identify the new network it found. I'm planning to test this on multiple machines this weekend to see if there's any machine-specific stuff in the package I created with WinInstall. Hopefully it will run smooth.

thats pretty cool, is there any way you can post what the msi does exactly or is all bundled up. i'd like to know what file/registry changes it makes.

i have mine registered and most of the settings in place. all it asks is to confirm the new network, and then ZA pops up asking whether to allow svchost.exe and o&o defrag's service internet access.

is there a way of inputting the program/component settings do u think? i wasn't sure i thought it might be possible.

i did notice if you open the setup EXE in winrar it has a couple of XML files with settings inside, might try tweaking them...

@ core22

I did the same but installed ZoneAlarmPro5.msi before the exe. The problems i had was with True Vector thing not loading and showing a yellow X in the Task bar. Also the initial configeration screen appears. Wether the True Vector issue is caused by the .msi before the .exe or by testing in VMware im not sure. It will be insresting to here how you get on.

@ paul3vanz

I would also be intrested to here how installing Zone alarm pro without the .msi 2nd install goes and xcopy zllictbl.dat into the System32 folder and installing the reg file.

I will be testing this method over the weekend if i have time. :rolleyes:

Good luck to all :)

@codeblue

right, here's how ive got it so far:

export the following keys from your newly set up working zonealarm

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]

zllictbl.dat is placed in system32 using the $oem$ folder, install the main program using "ZoneAlarmPro.exe /s /noreboot" then import the reg files works sweet.

just gotta implement the program settings now!

:)

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but,

I have copied my zllictbl.dat from windoes\system32 so i can be added back, but how do i do that, is it a case of

copying back into windows\system32 folder or

do i need to register it.

Why does using the xml file created from doing a backupinside zonealarm not work when i assumed this would hold hose details.

Ok its getting really old (the advice I am about to give that is)... WinInstall in combination with vmware...

Vmware gives you the best simulation of a actual pc... WinInstall the records everything that is changed since its last check point (which you create before you install) up to the latest (which you create after you install) It then makes you a .msi installer which you can make silent using the following switch...

/qb REBOOT=Suppress

Example:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, Gordian Knot Codec Pack, Winamp 2.9, Mozilla Firefox and Messenger Plus Extentions...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Application\media\media.msi /qb REBOOT=Suppress