Wrong Product Key?

radhus

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but i think it's the best place for learning about MS and Windows and I hope I can give you som help soon too.

My problem is this:

I use Windows XP Professional Corporate which I slipstreamed with SP1. When I boot from the CD, I can install it with my Product Key. :)

But if i have a computer that should have a "New Installation", and I open winnt32.exe from a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 computer it dosen't accept my product key :rolleyes: I have tried to edit The PID(i think) in setupp.ini but it dosn't help. Somebody who can help me?

Just ask me for information if i forgot to post anything

I believe he was trying to install XP from 2000, running the XP setup, but it won't accept the CD Key.

No... He's saying that when he installs XP, his Product Key is accepted. But when he installs 2000, he uses the same Product Key and it doesn't get accepted. He's trying to edit the SETUPP.INI file to change the kinds of keys that get accepted. Should we allow this on the forum? :)

I think some of you were confused about my bad english. the story:

I have a computer with Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and want to format it with Windows XP Professional SP1. When I start winnt32.exe from the 2000computer it doesn't accept my XP-Professional KEY. Anyone know why?

btw is editing Setupp.ini illigal? I just try to fix it from www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html and i think that it could not be illigal beacuse i just copy there numbers into mine, not changing OEM type or RETAIL. If you want to know that this is a problem that my father want me to help him with in his company, so it's the corporate version.

thanks for the replys all...

@radhus

I also saw what you described.

Just boot from the CD and do a clean install (do not do an upgrade).

When it enters GUIsetup mode after the initial file-copying, the normal key gets accepted.

Provided you did not try changing your product type, I suppose editing setupp.ini would not be considered illegal.

I believe he was trying to install XP from 2000, running the XP setup, but it won't accept the CD Key.

No... He's saying that when he installs XP, his Product Key is accepted. But when he installs 2000, he uses the same Product Key and it doesn't get accepted. He's trying to edit the SETUPP.INI file to change the kinds of keys that get accepted. Should we allow this on the forum? :D

looks like someone was right. :)

:rolleyes:

You gotta love people like that. Everything worked fine, then he played around with setupp.ini, and now it doesn't work. Gee, i wonder what happened. If you want to install xp then don't screw around with the source files.

-gosh

No... He's saying that when he installs XP, his Product Key is accepted. But when he installs 2000, he uses the same Product Key and it doesn't get accepted. He's trying to edit the SETUPP.INI file to change the kinds of keys that get accepted. Should we allow this on the forum? :D

looks like someone was right. :)

:rolleyes:

Don't make me raise your warning level! :D

Oh well, his explanation seemed a bit confusing to me!

Hey, you criminal-minds! (just kidding, no offence meant).

Please spare him. His problem looks to be real - I have the same too.

The problem already is manifested - and on the path of trying to solve it, he tried editing setupp.ini and it still doesn't work. YOU GET IT?

It was not like the problem started *AFTER* he edited setupp.ini.

Now, let me describe the issue.

I slipstreamed a Service Pack (1,1a,2rc1 doesn't matter which - they all give the same problem). Then unattended it - so far, so fine. Then, came the time to reduce the size of the existing files to be able to fit more onto the CD. So I deleted the winnt/9x upgrade folders, the LANG folder, etc. (basically all the junk that is not needed when you are simply going to boot from CD and start the install). Things seemed to be fine after that, until the day I started the setup from within windows, and found that it simply does not accept the key (legit, the same one that setup otherwise *DOES* accept in the GUI-setup mode after text-mode file-copy).

GOT IT ?

His seems to be a similar problem.

@radhus

I haven't found a solution to this, nor will I even bother to find the cause behind this irregularity. See my previous post in this topic (higher up on this page).

Dudes, the 1st thing that seems to occur to your minds is that he has tried to crack it in some way, and is now seeing the glorious "unpredictability" that it sometimes results in. Broaden your minds, it's not necessarily so.

But then, if what radhus describes is due to attempting cracking or modifying the source, then let him know that he won't get any support here about that matter. If you own a licensed copy, hacking may not be such a big crime, if it is only done for educational purposes. Only thing to keep note of, is that secure your base (i.e., confirm that everything works fine) before you start to experiment with hacks.

Some more things that you should know? :rolleyes:

I didn't even OPEN setupp.ini before I noticed this problem. I don't know if this problem is on the WIndows XP Pro Original CD, and i don't think I have access to that disk. I know that you think "ffs, boot with CD", but now i have to do it via windows 2000 (strange?)...

Thanks for all the replies, especially prathapml that have the same problem and understands my problem.

Thanks for the site and I hope I can stay on this site and not be banned due to illegal stuff...

Sry bad english, William 14yrs Sweden :)

Dudes, the 1st thing that seems to occur to your minds is that he has tried to crack it in some way, and is now seeing the glorious "unpredictability" that it sometimes results in. Broaden your minds, it's not necessarily so.

I believe I was the on that thought he was being legit. Bad Gamehead.....always on the look out for those pirates. :)

Perhaps MS has a KB article on it? Never know.

Hell, just pick-up your original winXP CD and use it to re-install. The fact that you mention that you don't have access to it gives reason for suspicion that something's wrong here (as gamehead felt too).

Otherwise, just boot from your backup copy of the original CD and use your key (because, as I said, starting setup from within windows sometimes leads to the key not being accepted as valid). That's all there is to it - let's close the thread.